1920 Ariel

Singles, twins and fours.
tony.barnett
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

1920 Ariel

Postby tony.barnett » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:56 am

I have a 1920 Ariel basket case (pics here http://forum.arielownersmcc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=66)

My plan is to fit drum braked wheels as I'd like to make the bike more useable, and am thinking about using 21" wired rims as this is as close as I can get to it looking right without using beaded edge. I have a BSA Bantam front hub and a Tiger Cub rear, and two 21" WM1 rims.

How can I judge whether the rims are compatible with the hubs? All are 40 hole. Rims are already dimpled and drilled.

I also need to fit a belt rim to the rear wheel (more complication).

Assuming things look compatible, is there a good spoke length calculator on the interweb anywhere? I'm quite happy to build and true the wheels, but would need to order the correct length spokes.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Secretary
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52ish VH
Velocette MAC
Honda C70ZZ
The Offroad Fleet - Fantic 200, Bultaco Pursang, Beta Rev 3

Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: 1920 Ariel

Postby Dave.Barkshire » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:20 am

I think that a perfectionist wheel builder would worry about the angle of the drilled holes in the rim and would probably like to drill their own. A less worried type will just lace up whatever you give them so long as the hole count matches. It might be worth starting off with a chosen wheel builder and see what they say? I put a tiger cub front hub onto a flat tank Enfield because I couldn't find the original hub. This involved some spindle machining but it looked right and only the eagle eyed dribbler would have known the difference. I have never had to have a rear belt rim fitted but this again would be something for the wheel builder I suppose. If you need parts then Willem Pol can supply wheel rims and belt rims. The veteran Triumph people can probably supply these too.
1938 Ariel Red Hunter VH1 http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/ArielVH_1938
1927 Triumph Model N https://youtu.be/42PexQ4kxUE
2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer Mk2 (ABS)
AOMCC Member 3400

tony.barnett

Postby tony.barnett » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Cheers Dave. Parts I have, just need to make them look like wheels. I need to sort spindles etc. first though I guess.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Secretary
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52ish VH
Velocette MAC
Honda C70ZZ
The Offroad Fleet - Fantic 200, Bultaco Pursang, Beta Rev 3

Return to “Four stroke”