petrol tap

Singles, twins and fours.
chris.vredenbregt
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

petrol tap

Postby chris.vredenbregt » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:29 am

I have a g-special 1930 and recently bought a new petroltap for it, a hexagon type with a push/pull slide and even a reserve lever.
After filling up the tank and a nice ride and a day of storage the cellar was filled with, in our eyes nice fumes, but the female and far more better half of me had some complains about petroldamp in the house.
To pervent having a divorce I emptied the tank in a jerry and open a few doors to have the fumes out.
There must be a better way to this procedure of filling/emptying every time.
Parking outside is NOT an option and selling(wife's opion)is not a serious one, neither devorcing my wife. ;)
What petrol taps are you using, that 1. look nice 2.are not expensive(mine was 50 pounds)3. don't leak 4. do not come of a BMW.
Any suggestions,by the way petrol used to smell better in the old days its more chemical now I think.........chris
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV

keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: petrol tap

Postby keith.hodgenia » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:23 pm

If your new tap has a cork seal it may well improve as the cork becomes fully soaked and expands making a better seal. You could try removing tap and put it in a container of petrol for a few days.
It would be a shame to ruin an otherwise perfectly serviceable wife

Dave.Barkshire

Postby Dave.Barkshire » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:38 pm

The corks found at autojumbles are usually rubbish. I made one for the NH a few years ago and it is as good as new and wrote it up for the knowledgebase
http://www.arielownersmcc.co.uk/members_only/ariel_library/Knowledgebase/ShowItem.aspx?id=468

Fumes can also get out of the filler cap and the carb. Ventilating the room may help I suppose.
1938 Ariel Red Hunter VH1
2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
AOMCC Member 3400

dave.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby dave.owen » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Chris, you could try boiling the cork in water,this will expand them.if you leave the tank dry the taps wil also dry out.

dave
AOMCC Treasurer

Dave.cornett

Postby Dave.cornett » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:06 pm

I was always told if you soak the cork in paraffin wax it gives it a better seal as the wax is impervious to petrol. I tend to just turn the fuel tap on every other day for a second to keep the cork from drying out.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:35 am

Needs to be really good cork. If they dry out they always leak. I have fitted the Norton commando type to some bikes and they work well. ( I try to keep all mine standard as they usually have a reserve pipe) Nev

chris.vredenbregt

Postby chris.vredenbregt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:20 am

Hello Boys Thanks you for the advice .
First thing I did was inspecting the corks as the tank was already empty it was easy to take out the tap and dismantle it.
I do not know the definition of good cork but mine were surely not up to that standard.They came out in pieces and crumbled in my hands.
I think that modern petrol has a destructive effect on them.
There were even pieces in the holes of the tap and they must have been the cause of the spitting back last sunday on the way home with my bike.
I must have been lucky that the bike did not stall completely.
Not having new good or even bad corks on the shelf make me look for an alternative material and I stumbled over a flap of slicon of 3 mm thick, probably a leftover of a dimantled heather or something( never trow things away!)
As far as I know petrol has no effect on silicon. :idea:
I made some rounds out of it and even did not forget to make a hole in the middle and after putting it all together I put the tap back in the tank.
After putting some petrol in the tank I noticed no leaks anymore except for some sweating on the reservelever and and the push/pull operated smooter than before.
I do not know if this a permanent solution but my wife and I are happy for the moment and on the next jumble I will try to get my hands on good corks and try out your advices.
Or I will have to start drinking wine as Dave suggested ( for the corks of course), but its a big step from whiskey to wine.
Fingers crossed for my silicon solution......Chris

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:08 am

Hi Chris,
you may need to get new cork - as silly as that sounds!
Most wine corks are composite - made of shredded old cork and silicon / rubber, or some other sort of glue.
This may be what you have in your carby bowl?
Unless it's rotted, cork won't be affected by petrol, new or otherwise.
Having said that, the wine I drink is so cheap it's lucky to come in glass, so better wines may have better/proper corks?
Places like chem supply companies - do you know a science teacher? - schools, lab's etc sometimes have an old stock of small corks for test tubes. These are ideal.
The new Drags corks for petrol taps are expensive, but work ok.
I think petrol does have an effect on silicon. A lot of synthetics are oil based.
regards, Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

chris.vredenbregt

Postby chris.vredenbregt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:30 am

Hi Brenton my search has not stopped jet and maybe you are right about the silicon, but I have silicon petrollinings(on other bikes) that do not harden nor solve in petrol, but maybe are made of some other material/composite ?.
Winecorks nowedays are of artficial cork even the expensive ones my wife drinks, but I know wat you mean I need a cork in one piece , the difficult part is to make the right thickness and shape (flat and even both sides).
I think I have some old nos clutchcorks somewere they are already round, I will go looking for them :idea: :idea: :idea: ........Chris

Vincent.vanGinneke

Re: petrol tap

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Hello Chris,
This is what Herman Noort made for me.
Take out the original cork fixing bit and make up a new bit with 3 grooves for O rings
petrol tap O ring.jpg
petrol tap O ring (1).jpg
Attachments
petrol tap O ring (2).jpg

Return to “Four stroke”