Primary Chaincase

Singles, twins and fours.
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Primary Chaincase

Postby simon.holyfield » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:24 pm

Cleaning my primary cases this evening, rear half, I cleared lots of muck out of the chain oiler. It made me query a couple of things:

- the 'spout' on the back of the casting, that conducts oil to the chain. How long is that supposed to be? mine looks as though an errant chain has ground it away.
- there is a screw hole beneath the oiler, which is a clearance hole through the rear half of the case. Obviously most of the primary case screw holes are tapped in the rear half of the case, so why is this one a clearance hole? Is this a bolt hole for the lower chain guard?

Thanks for your indulgence in reading these pedantic questions!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

david.anderson

Re: Primary Chaincase

Postby david.anderson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:42 am

Simon
the rear chain oiler extends 1/2" off the back of the primary chaincase on my 4. One broken rear chain is generally all it takes to remove it.
Yes the hole below the oiler is drilled through both cases and is used for fixing the bottom chainguard. You must use a very thin nut to avoid hitting the chain and as it runs so close fix the split link on the inside of the chain to stop the split link being removed by it. I have a very thin nut on mine and appear to have enough clearance between the nut and chain however after having my split link removed by that nut I now always fit my split link on the inside.
David

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:29 am

One school of thought (mine) is to block the chain oiler altogether with a small spot of expoxy. One less thing to leak oil everywhere.
The usual rear chain attention and sprays do a great job. The bigger challenge is to keep the primary oil in and at the right level.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:17 am

Oill retention is a bit of a problem. To get the level right I add oil while the engine is running and you can see when it is picked up by the chain through the filler hole. Sometimes I use a sticky chain oil and aim it at the cush drive on the engine shaft. Nev

dave.owen

Postby dave.owen » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:04 pm

I don't worry about the chain oiler but use one of the engine breathers extented and aimed at the gearbox sprocket .this is suplimented by spray grease.

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:43 pm

I think the spout should be about 1/2" long - what matters more is whether it's still got a proper 'drip' on the end. otherwise the oil will just run down the back of the chaincase.

You can re-form/renew them with plastic padding, or maybe araldite/JB Weld, filed to shape when hard, Or for a more robust fix maybe some work with a 1/4" bolt (drilled), and a couple of nuts (filed).

What's wrong with you guys - I rate the the chain oiler as one of the best features of the bike !
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:17 am

Does anyone have a picture of an undamaged spout?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

Return to “Four stroke”