LF transmission problem

Singles, twins and fours.
RobSawyer

LF transmission problem

Postby RobSawyer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:47 pm

My 1929 LF250 has a strange quirk. When in gear, engine running and clutch (which is not dragging) pulled in, it is impossible to physically pull the bike backwards. The clutch takes up drive and it drives away but it is not possible to pull it backwards. Any thoughts??
The following may have a bearing on the above but I can't quite see how or why....
During my investigations into the problem I have taken the clutch apart, Put new rollers in (it wasn't too good in there, some smaller rollers and some a bit manky but the races were good) and generally tidied it up, However, upon reassembly the 4 plain plates and 3 fibre plates will not fit back into the basket!! It was ok before but I don't see how - the splines on the clutch centre are 23.3mm from face to step and the combined thickness of the plates is 24.5mm (4 x steel @ 1.6 - 1.7mm each plus 3 x fibre @ 5.6 - 6.0mm each) and while it is possible to make it all go in (just) as soon as the clutch is operated the end plate is pushed off the centre spline (obviously). Should it be only 3 plus 2 plates?
Before I looked at the clutch I had looked at the kickstart end of the gearbox because the kickstart was a bit iffy, slipping over the ratchet. That is much better upon reassembly, not perfect but satisfactory. However, I noticed that if I loosened off the nut on the shaft I was able to wheel the bike backwards and reasoned that it might be the cluch loose (or something, clutching at straws). Spoke to couple of people who assured me that there are no shims or adjustments within the box ..... so that is when I visited the clutch .....
If anyone has some suggestions I would be very pleased to read them. Thanks in anticipation. Regards Rob

john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby john.whiting » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:58 am

It seems you must be compressing the starter ratchet assy until it engages permanently.If the nut cant be screwed up without jamming things,then you must either fit a spacer,or simply fix the nut in place with some red loctite.It seems you may have parts missing as well as too many clutch plates.Regards John.

RobSawyer

Postby RobSawyer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Thank you John for your thoughts. Do you believe the red loctite will be satisfactory?
I am going to re-assemble the clutch tomorrow with fewer plates and see how that works. Do you think the thickness of the plates I have stated is about right?
I have an RPD gearbox do you know if that shares the clutch centre for a Q box?
Thanks again, regards Rob

Return to “Four stroke”