Poor quality pattern spares

Singles, twins and fours.
malcolm.johnson

Poor quality pattern spares

Postby malcolm.johnson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:22 pm

During final assembly of my recently rebuilt 4G, on fitting the crankcase inspection plug - a final nip with a spanner left the ring of threads in the crankcase and the cap in my hands. No problem as the threads came out easily and a new billet cap as opposed to the original cast one was obtained from Draganfly. On arrival it was necessary to bore out the recess between the threads as the internal diameter was too small to enable the filter to seat correctly inside. When I first ran the engine, oil pressure was good, but I thought return flow to be less than I expected, but brushed it aside thinking this was how 4G`s were. As previously reported, I have been running the engine most times I have visited my workshop to give the engine a gentle initial running in, before it goes on the road. Oil pressure has always been good, but on checking the oil tank recently, it was found to be nearly empty and the crankcase full of the missing oil - actually amazed it even started. If I can manage to post a photograph of the sump inspection cover you will see the recess inside the hex part to allow the scavenge pipe to pick up oil was not completed properly. Tightening the cover literally blocked off the pipe end. Back in the lathe and suitably machined, the problem was solved. More and more do I hear of and also receive poor pattern parts - if I had taken this bike out on the road sooner the result could have been far worse. If you buy one of these inspection covers, check it out!

malcolm.johnson

Re: Poor quality pattern spares

Postby malcolm.johnson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:25 pm

Crankcase filter and bung..JPG

john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby john.nash » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Malcolm,

Did you appraise Draganfly that the caps do need to be bored out ?
I've found them to be very concerned over quality and they do work closely with the club, around spares.

While your post is entirely constructive ..

....a word of warning to anyone else, posting afterwards, is to try and avoid "naming and shaming" specific suppliers.
While it might seem like a good idea I've found that experiences vary (in many cases; not all mind) and there is always the risk of legal action against our (publically viewable) forum (and indirectly the AOMCC).

..and yes, I've bought things that would never have fitted in a million years.
The current one is fitting repro brackets, to repro pannier frames, to a repro rack, to an original mudguard and frame.... hours of my life, I won't get back ...
John "Josh" Nash
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk
AOMCC No.4119
2009 royal Enfield,1978 t140 bonneville, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, 1960 k750, ''51 kH500, ''49 soon to be Ariel bobber, 47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '43 Ariel WNG, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....

malcolm.johnson

Postby malcolm.johnson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks John, I take your point, but to be totally honest I am fed up with some of the rubbish parts that have come my way restoring other makes and also to many of my aquaintances (and in seemingly in increasing quantities and varieties). Only 2 weeks ago I was sent a speedo bezel with no thread (not Draganfly) - no big deal apart from the inconvenience. Incorrectly peirced wheel rims, exhausts that only fit where they touch, parts with rubbish chrome, pattern seats that do not fit etc. Unfortuneately there will be many poor souls out there, struggling with poor spares to make half decent jobs of their bikes, probably blaming themselves.I have to say that the service I have had so far from Draganfly has been good, and I was not setting out to knock them as I have better things to do. However that does not protect them from my wanting to warn other AOMCC members, there may be a problem spare that is already out there (quite likely since the part was probably CNC made), that could potentially wreck an engine. I will tomorrow e-mail them with my experience. I suppose I should have returned the part when I found the filter would not fit, but it was easier at the time to re machine it myself and had it registered with me then, that when tightened it was going to cut off the oil return, for me to discover 4 weeks later, then I might have posted it back.... but then again it was a 5 minute job to do it myself. Malcolm Johnson

chaz.wheeler
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby chaz.wheeler » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:05 pm

being ' in the trade' we are allways having problems with pattern parts for British bikes. For Harley Davidson there isa difference, they offer good quality OEM, Eastern or MCS as well as Kuryakin , Zodiac and others. so you have a choice of parts at different prices . Wheras I find the Brit spares are generally all from one place. I ordered a cable from Tri cor, it was wrong, rang another couple of places , both out of stock, meanwhile the customer is on my back. 2 weeks later I get a replacement only to find its wrong as well. when you call them they confirm theirs came from the same place as the others, so if one is wrong the whole lot are, worst thing is customer swears blind his was original and correct, but was it???
another classic is our own shock absorber nuts, now made out of commercial 30mm a/f hex, not 1.100 a/f hex. the difference being , the socket wont fit in the cup to do the nut up. then of course there is this weeks problem, with GPM rings not fitting original pistons.

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:27 am

Id like to hear from someone who s fitted Indian made girder forks......and lived.Regards John.

malcolm.johnson

Postby malcolm.johnson » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:48 am

I have communicated with Draganfly (which I should have done at the outset) and Roger confirms that the stock of the "sump plates" do need modifying. Aparently most are sold for use as the timing side bearing covers (not needing the recess) and made in house. The stock will be re-machined with the recess so that use is interchangeable both in the sump and as a bearing cover. No harm done and I am happy to let this matter rest.

marcus whatling
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby marcus whatling » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi Malcolm When I first saw the picture I wondered why you were fitting a timing side bearing cover (having just got one from Draggs) for the crank case inspection plug !

admin
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re:

Postby admin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:14 pm

john.whiting wrote:Id like to hear from someone who s fitted Indian made girder forks......and lived.Regards John.

and me ......
otherwise I need to convince a spares organiser to part with some money as an "experiment" ...
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

Return to “Four stroke”