Power socket for Sat Nav

Singles, twins and fours.
dave.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Power socket for Sat Nav

Postby dave.owen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:03 am

Can an expert advise me on fitting a power output socket on a bike with +ve earth,it will be used to power a sat nav.I'm running 6v.

are sat nav's polarity sensitive?

dave
AOMCC Treasurer

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:58 am

I wouldn't want to find out the expensive way. Can't see the difference if the wires are made to provide the required polarity to your plug. Nev

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:20 pm

I've had a crack at this. Satnavs that use a mini usb socket run on 5 volts. So i tried connecting the sat nav straight to a 6 volt battery. It worked! the 6 volt battery showed 6.5 volts on my meter. i cut off the plug from an old car charger to make the lead.
Now when fitted to the bike and the dynomo is in full swing the battery could be reading 7 volts and maybe slightly more so there is the chance that this could be too much for the sat nav, its at this pointo where I reach the end of my electrical skills. maybe someone could recomend something that will hold the voltage to 6 volts.
You could of course just upgrade to 12 volts but i guess that is not what you want to do.
btw. as I was doing this I got the polarity reversed by mistake! the satnav didnt work but when connected the right way round it came back to life.

Steven.Carter

Re:

Postby Steven.Carter » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:04 pm

I forgot to say that you can get a plug and socket from halfords for around £10.00 in Halfords. Its the same type used by BMW motorcycles.

steve

dave.owen

Postby dave.owen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks Steve, I have a cigarette type socket I will fit under the seat(from Halfords) , at least I know I can try it out without blowing the sat nat

thanks Dave
AOMCC Treasurer

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:59 am

A diode would limit the volts. I don't know how to set it up... Normal charge voltage is just a bit over 7 for a six volt lead acid battery. Nev

brett.hayhurst
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby brett.hayhurst » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:50 pm

Go Steve ! The go to gadget man ! Have seen you dive right into these things, good to have you willing to sacrifice your gadgets for a members query and of course, for the betterment of mankind ! :lol:

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:42 pm

I love gadgets, can't help it. When I get back home I'll show you the inside of my top box, there's all sorts in there, but for the moment I'll leave you in suspenders

Steve

peterhill

Re: Power socket for Sat Nav

Postby peterhill » Tue May 21, 2013 9:38 am

I've been running a sat nav and charging my phone on my '57 Huntmaster for a couple of years now without any problems. She runs 6V positive earth.

I put together a little die-cast metal box with an LM 317 voltage regulator chip in it with a couple of resistors and cap's and set it to give me a rock solid 5V output. The chip is rated at 1.5A which is plenty and the metal box acts as a heatsink. The regulator IC is insulated from the box so the box is not live (very important if you don't want sparks). I wired a 2pin socket into the battery box that I can plug this into when I need it. The box has a couple of outputs including a standard USB socket so it will safely charge anything that will run from USB (sat nav, phone, mp3 player, tablet, etc) regardless of what the generator or battery is doing and only draws a few uA when not in use.

(LM317 datasheet here http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm117.pdf)

Return to “Four stroke”