Side stand

Singles, twins and fours.
charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Side stand

Postby charles.bulloch » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi, all.

Is the late side stand with extension (for a swinging arm VH) better at supporting the motorcycle? That is will it be less likely to fall over?

Charlie

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:37 am

I don't currently have a post 54 model but generally I find the side stand the best thing to have on a bike as long as it is strong enough, doesn't slip or hurt the frame. American bikes had them in the late 20's If you are careful how the surface is that you use (Slope and firmness ) they are the best. Nev

john.nash

Re: Side stand

Postby john.nash » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:30 am

charles.bulloch wrote:Hi, all.

Is the late side stand with extension (for a swinging arm VH) better at supporting the motorcycle? That is will it be less likely to fall over?

Charlie

Yes.
It is far better than the earlier one on the rigid and anstey frames.

I would say it's still not the "perfect sidestand" but I've seen some modern bikes with truly appalling ones .. so the manufacturers don't seem to have got it right yet !
John "Josh" Nash
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk
AOMCC No.4119
2009 royal Enfield,1978 t140 bonneville, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, 1960 k750, ''51 kH500, ''49 soon to be Ariel bobber, 47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '43 Ariel WNG, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:51 pm

Nevs right,the "Jiffy" stand is without a doubt the best sidestand ever made for a bike.The best thing is that you can still buy one ,and I suspect it can be fitted to the front engine plates in the sidecar mount hole on any pre S/A Ariel ,without much trouble.One thing though,dont forget and ride off without folding it,you wont break it,but you wont forget again.Regards John.

malcolm.johnson

Postby malcolm.johnson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:57 am

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the "Jiffy" stand, could it be made to fit my rigid 4G? I am finding the rear stand a bit of a worry every time I stop and eventually I can see the bike being dropped! Any pictures and who stocks the "Jiffy"?

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:45 pm

A "Jiffy" is a sidestand, i don't know who Jiffy is, maybe a sister of "Dicky"(seat) :D .

graham.wade

Postby graham.wade » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:22 pm

A Jiffy in everyday speak is an unspecified short amount of time. I guess it's used as an expression for sidestand since they are useful for parking the bike for a short duration. In physics, a Jiffy is .000000000000000000000003 seconds. A sidestand can be used for longer than that.

Graham

ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby ian.scott » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:01 pm

It appears to be a Harley-Davidson aftermarket item,

Ian

malcolm.johnson

Postby malcolm.johnson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:28 pm

adrie.degraaff wrote:A "Jiffy" is a sidestand, i don't know who Jiffy is, maybe a sister of "Dicky"(seat) :D .

OK I fell in for that one, reminds me of being an apprentice mechanic a (long) while ago and being sent for a "long stand" - fell for that too. However I would be interested in side stand options available to the rigid 4G - apparently the RHS version is not good, even if you can find one. A decent picture would enable me to make one if off the shelf is not available.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:52 am

These stands have a fairly long arm )The reason for it's success) and locate forward Front of the footboards on a Harley. The Military WLA is typical. It has to tuck back and level under the primary chain drive. (Held there by an overcentering spring) A lot of sidestands are located under the seat area and rely on the back wheel not slipping. They can fall over the stand easily if they have a short arm.
Harley may have introduced the term "Jiffy" which refers to a short time. You can put it on the stand in a jiffy. before fitting one make sure you don't lose ground clearance too much for you. The front engine plate would be a good place to fit one Nev

Return to “Four stroke”