Morgo oil pump?

Singles, twins and fours.
john.bebb

Morgo oil pump?

Postby john.bebb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:22 am

Hi - Fred Broadbent implies that fitting a Morgo oil pump to his Square was comparable to the dog's dangling bits...
Please - why is it so much better than the original and where might one source such? Thank you, John Bebb

Eero.Korhonen
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Morgo oil pump?

Postby Eero.Korhonen » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi,
I think this is the one:
http://www.morgo.co.uk/11-morgo-rotary-pumps
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133

john.bebb

Postby john.bebb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks for that Eero - I'll certainly add one to my machine, John

david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby david.anderson » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:31 pm

John
There are a couple of advantages that the Morgo pump has.
With a mk2 the original pump body is mazac which tends to expand and distort with age which can mean that tolerances are not what they should be. Drags do supply a cnc machined steel body for the old pump which is excellent. The earlier plunger pumps have proved reliable in service.
The second advantage is that the morgo circulates about twice the amount of oil that the original pump did. The original mk2 pump runs at 35 – 40 psi when things are in good condition. The Morgo pumps at 55 psi. The extra oil can however create problems. The oil pressure relief valve dumps the excess oil into the timing cover and as the capacity of the pump is much more than the original pump, there is a lot more oil. The result is that a lot of oil can be pushed out the timing cover breather, so the breather pipe needs extending inside the timing chest. Next the top end of the 4 was always over oiled. With the original oil pump I experienced considerable over oiling. It would be worse with a morgo. I then fitted late mk2 valve springs and steel oil shrouds which did virtually nothing to fix the problem. I realised that the problem appeared to be oil pooling in the top of the valve spring collar and possibly running down the gap between the split retainers. I reassembled the springs using some silicone on the ends of the split retainers which effectively stopped the over oiling of the guides. I have not had a problem since and have subsequently fitted a Morgo.
David

Eero.Korhonen

Postby Eero.Korhonen » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:53 am

Has anyone fitted that Morgo plunger pump to VH, NH or VB?
Is there any improvement compare to old one?
-Eero

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:31 am

I haven't fitted Morgo but have tried larger pumps in the singles. I have run them on a VCH which I used to give a bit to. Generally they are a bit of a failure on the singles as a lot of oil comes out everywhere due to the poor means of returning the oil. It needs a scraper to be fitted below the flywheels.
I have spoken to a lot of the older riders who used to race them, and they confirm my findings. You actually often get less power due to oil drag and the engine gets hotter. The post 49 pump is adequate unless you do a lot of racing where you might modify it more for the oil circulation. Nev

john.nash

Postby john.nash » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:58 am

nevhunter wrote:The post 49 pump is adequate unless you do a lot of racing where you might modify it more for the oil circulation. Nev

FYI.
If you exchange a "singles oil pump" with draganfly, then they will send you back the later version (regardless of whether you sent an earlier or later version) with the slightly larger feed.
John "Josh" Nash
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk
AOMCC No.4119
2009 royal Enfield,1978 t140 bonneville, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, 1960 k750, ''51 kH500, ''49 soon to be Ariel bobber, 47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '43 Ariel WNG, ' and piles of rusty scrap ....

huw.parsons

Postby huw.parsons » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:04 pm

I think the morgo is a particularly good option for trials bikes with the associated low rpm most of the time..

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:24 am

Eero.Korhonen wrote:Has anyone fitted that Morgo plunger pump to VH, NH or VB?
Is there any improvement compare to old one?
-Eero

I have just bought a Morgo pump for my '58 'VH', but I haven't fitted it yet. I'll report on my findings when I finally get to fit it (and ride the thing :roll: ).

I'll refurbish the old pump and keep it as a spare, hopefully all this attention to oil pumps will cure the wet sumping that I'm experiencing.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

Eero.Korhonen

Postby Eero.Korhonen » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:00 am

Hi Bob,
That sounds good, we are waiting for your report and maybe some pics too.
-Eero

Return to “Four stroke”