Morgo oil pump?

Singles, twins and fours.
Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Morgo oil pump?

Postby Paul Slootheer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Hello Eero!
I have fitted a new Morgo plunger pump on a 1947 NH. The Morgo pump has a increased feed plunger (and of course a seriously increased return plunger) and there’s is now under all conditions a healty stream of oil coming back in the oil tank. When I compare the Morgo with a later Ariel pump, like the one fitted on my 1956 VH, I think the Morgo pump is giving just a slightly more oil pressure.

Paul Slootheer :D

adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby adrie.degraaff » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:07 pm

john.nash wrote:If you exchange a "singles oil pump" with draganfly, then they will send you back the later version (regardless of whether you sent an earlier or later version) with the slightly larger feed.

20 years ago I have send in a 1956 pump for restoration and they send me a new 350 wng pump, I was not amused, still have it unused.

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:18 am

Eero.Korhonen wrote:Hi Bob,
That sounds good, we are waiting for your report and maybe some pics too.
-Eero

Well . . . I'm very busy re-furbishing and re-decorating a flat at present but there is a Scottish Classic Motorcycle Club "Autumn Gathering" at 'The Achray House Hotel', St.Fillans (West of Crief) on 22nd Sept. I intend to be there on the '58 Ariel 'VH' instead of the '88 BMW 100GS so I'd better make some time and fit the pump :lol: .

I've been to a few Scottish Classic events and thought it time I actually joined them.

I'm now a member of five Motorcycle Clubs :roll: .

I'll take pictures ;) .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:16 am

The Plunger type of pump fitted to Ariel and Triumph bikes is one of the least likely to "sump" made. (Unless I'm missing something). It does have other faults that would be more detrimental to the Triumph than the roller bearing equipped Ariel. Oil has to lubricate parts and in some instances COOL parts. There is not enough oil circulating in the ARIEL to cool anything much and I would suggest the return(scavenge) set up is NOT adequate to cope with high volume pumps. The engine actually delivers less power and runs hotter. Ariel is not the only engine t have this problem. Many earlier engines used hard in track situations have the same problem. They don't have enough volume of air in the crankcase. The Ariel case is filled by the flywheels as much as most two strokes. Nev

Bob.Murphy

Re:

Postby Bob.Murphy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:43 pm

nevhunter wrote:The Plunger type of pump fitted to Ariel and Triumph bikes is one of the least likely to "sump" mate. (Unless I'm missing something). Nev

I would agree, but every time I start the VH I get a lot of oil out of the crankcase breather which takes a while to clear. My tarmacked yard is now covered in puddles and trails (my BMWs NEVER do that) :roll: .

I never had a problem like this with my 'VB', until I once left it ticking over on the prop stand :shock: . I never did that again :) .

I suspect the balls in the pump valves aren't seating properly and while they can be replaced and re-seated the bike has done 62,000 miles so I thought it a good idea to treat it to a new pump - time will tell.

Since buying it I have only ridden it on the road twice as I've been very busy getting No 2 daughter's house ready (four months work). She and her family are now installed and I am now working in the flat they vacated :roll: . One day I'll have time to put some miles on the VH and get to know it better.

I am retired - so the family consider my time to be unlimited and free, and my hobbies don't count for anything :lol: .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

Return to “Four stroke”