1953 VH stalled and won't start

Singles, twins and fours.
MichieldeM

1953 VH stalled and won't start

Postby MichieldeM » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:05 pm

Hello,

A short introduction first: I'm new to the forum (well, not new, I've gone through it for hours, but I only recently signed up and this is my first post). I bought a 1953 VH a few weeks ago. It has been sitting in a (heated and dry) attic for the last decade or so and I immediately fell in love with the patina.

I cleaned it, did the oily rag restauration (I will do my best to keep it as much like it is as i can), changed all the fluids, checked the oil flow, swapped the carb for a concentric (the pre monoblock was warn and warped), set the timing and fired it up for a first test ride last Sunday.

So far so good.

It was a 6 or 7 mile test ride. It depends on if you want to count the last mile I had to walk...

It started in 1 kick and ran beautifully until the last mile. It was idling while waiting for a traffic light when it stalled. No matter what I did, I could not get any signs of life out of it anymore.

I checked:
- The fuel
- The spark plug (I did get sparks outside the engine, it had the right color)
- the carb (no blockages)
- The timing
- compression (the kick starter feels the same as before, it feels like plenty of compression)

Nothing. The only thing that is worth noting is that the timing plate travel (when I push or pull the advance/retard lever) has only limited travel (less than it had before the ride), but the timing should still be fine or t least close enough for a backfire in the carb or a bang in the exhaust.

I'm not really sure where to start looking, any tips?

robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: 1953 VH stalled and won't start

Postby robjameson » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:35 pm

In my experience if the timing wasn't bang on to start with (I use 1/2'' btdc) then if it slips it can go happily, stop and will not restart for love nor money! I would reset the timing, and check it by turning the engine over again and checking the points open at the right time.

I had a similar problem, and this plus a brand new magneto pick up cured the issue (except when the bike is left outside overnight in the wet).
If you are using an old mag pick up, it may have deteriorated leaking the spark, and it can still show a spark at the right angle with testing the plug out of the head, then as soon as you replace you lose the spark again.

Bloody frustrating!

Good luck!
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1956 Ariel KH (LARGE project!)

Steven.Carter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby Steven.Carter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Welcome to the forum, what part of the world are you from?
I'm guessing that your mag might have packed up, although you can see a spark, under compression It can dissapear. You should though check the timing hasn't moved out of place. When you first fired up the bike the compression might have been a bit soft but after a bit of running the piston would have bedded itself back in and raised the compression and compromised the spark.. Just my guess, let us know how you get on.
Steve

MichieldeM

Postby MichieldeM » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Thank you for the replies.

I thought that if the timing had slipped, it would still have given me something like a backfire or any other signs of life, but I will recheck.

A quick google/forum search tells me that it is pretty much impossible to check the magneto by yourself?

cheers!

Michiel

(from the Netherlands)

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:40 pm

Must admit that I don't know of a way of checking magnetos, might he best done by an expert.

I've come over to the Netherlands for their Dutch annual Ariel rally for the last 3 years, I've always had a great time, here I am heading towards Dokkum.

Steve

Knud.Degnbol
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Knud.Degnbol » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:46 pm

Change the Condenser/ capacitor in the magneto. They die of old age. whether they are used or not.

graham.wade

Postby graham.wade » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi Michiel,
I agree with the above, It would certainly be a good idea to have the magneto refurbished. I hope you get it sorted soon and enjoy riding it. By the way, I think it is an NH looking at the barrel and petrol tank.
Graham

MichieldeM

Re:

Postby MichieldeM » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:53 am

graham.wade wrote:Hi Michiel,
I agree with the above, It would certainly be a good idea to have the magneto refurbished. I hope you get it sorted soon and enjoy riding it. By the way, I think it is an NH looking at the barrel and petrol tank.
Graham

You are completely right....It is an NH, I made this topic after a few hours googling and using the search on this forum, I got mixed up. Somehow I can't edit my opening post anymore?

I'll let an expert have a look at my magneto then. I did read about the condenser so I was planning to replace that anyway.

@ Steven.Carter: I'm planning on becoming a member of the Dutch Ariel Club, they have a parts market next Sunday. On the photo you are riding on what must be the most boring road in Europe ;)

adrie.degraaff

Re: 1953 VH stalled and won't start

Postby adrie.degraaff » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:29 am

Maybe just dirt from the tank in your carb filter?

MichieldeM

Postby MichieldeM » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:15 am

I checked the fuel flow from the petcock (it was fine), I checked the filter beneath the floatbowl (it was clean) and I checked the jets (they were open). I am reasanobly sure that it's not a fuel problem.

I got a quote of 250,- for recondioning the magnetos, that is way cheaper then I expected to be honest, so I'll do that anyway.

Return to “Four stroke”