Singles, twins and fours.
MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Sq 4 oil pressure

Postby MARK.WALSH » Sat May 03, 2014 9:37 pm

Brian
did you sort out the oil pressure problem
I have now done 170miles on my rebuild and the pressure is settling at about 20psi at 30 mph - a bit low for my liking. Also it wet sumps a bit if left for a few days
Thought it could be the pressure release valve - did your new one cure the problem you had
Mark

Brian.Challinor
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Brian.Challinor » Sat May 03, 2014 9:51 pm

Although I'm not actually riding around on mine, seating the ball bearings in the oil pump seemed to cure my problem. I don't have any problems with wet sumping. The reason I'm not on the road yet is I had problems with my newly painted tank. After about a week of having petrol in it, the paint round the filler cap flange softened and lifted off. The tanks gone back to be sealed and re-sprayed, also the tank was weeping round the oil pressure gauge flange.

MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby MARK.WALSH » Sun May 04, 2014 2:39 pm

Brian
how annoying - what's the matter with these painters , don't they know we are going to put petrol in the tanks!! Mine had similar probs but confined to the filler neck only so the sealing rubber and petrol cap hide where the paint came off
By the way looked at the pressure release valve and replaced the spring - holding good at 35psi at 40mph now
Mark

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby simon.holyfield » Sun May 04, 2014 7:07 pm

I bet that is a relief Mark. I'll take the hint and buy a new spring too.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:16 am

An old thread, but one of perennial interest to those of afflicted with the four-cylinder bug...

From the beginning of the rebuild, my Four has exhibited the same behaviour with respect to the oil pressure, namely that it will show about 55 psi cold, idling or on the road - governed by the relief valve. This drops to about 25 psi at 40 mph when really hot, and about 10 psi at idle - all this on Penrite 40/70.

Now that I have the rocker box/pressure gauge oil lines the right way round, its completely changed. Same oil, but now I see 60-65 psi cold, and about 50 hot; this drops to 25 psi at a hot idle.

I'm a happy chap. I might go back to a lighter oil, just so I can kick it over in the winter without a hernia.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:35 am

What oil are you using in your Square Fours, chaps?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A

MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby MARK.WALSH » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:39 pm

Simes
I use a good 20/50 for mine
I have to be careful in my garage though. straight 40 for the panther 600 , Castrol R for the inter , ,,,,one day I will mix em up and end up with an unwanted engine rebuild!

By the way - took the square 4 out today for a canter, she cruised along at 60 with blips up to 70 with good oil pressure. I bought a new Aux jet for the solex to eliminate once and for all the flat spot I get at 45 ish. Seemed to work a treat but of course you have you have to factor in the cooler Autumn air that could have contributed to the smoother running . Lovely ride !

Cheers Mark

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Mine runs on Morris's SAE 40 at a consistent 22psi once warm. I too have fitted one of David Jones's improved mixture screws to the Solex with the result of a quite fantastic improvement in low end flexibility.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby MARK.WALSH » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Paul
likewise I fitted a new mixture screw after soldering on a T-bar on the end to assist adjustment when hot. I got a more regular tick over on mine with a slight improvement on the lower end. - well worth doing
Mark

Return to “Four stroke”