VH Clutch adjustment?

Singles, twins and fours.
john lloyd

VH Clutch adjustment?

Postby john lloyd » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:10 pm

I Have restored a '55 VH and trying to get the clutch adjusted correctly. I have followed the advice in the manual but the clutch keeps slipping on kick starting.
The VH has a 2 cork plate and 3 steel plate arrangement and no matter what I do the clutch still slips. I have cleaned all the plates and de burred the centre boss and it all seems free to slide on the splines. Even when the cable adjustment is slackened right off at the gearbox end the clutch still slips, the springs have been tightened in as far as they go.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Steven.Carter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby Steven.Carter » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:16 pm

That's a pain, the VH normally has 3 cork and 4 plain. Where abouts are you and welcome to the forum

Steve

john lloyd

Re: VH Clutch adjustment?

Postby john lloyd » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks Steve
I have been told that the clutch will work with 2 or 3 friction plate set up. The bike came with a 2 plate set up and the basket and centre won't hold all the extra plates.
Cheers John

dave.owen

Postby dave.owen » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:14 pm

John . Have you adjusted the clutch pushrod to the correct clearance. I think 1/32" free play
Often overlooked

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer

keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby keith.hodgenia » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:42 pm

I think the 2 friction plate clutch was fitted to the 350 engine that has much less compression to overcome. It fits but can lead to your problem. If the plates are soaked in oil it won't help, try cleaning them as best you can. If the clutch is in good condition and there is free play as Dave suggests then you may need to find the deeper clutch basket to make it a 3 plate. This is probably the best long term solution.

john lloyd

Postby john lloyd » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:54 pm

Hi Dave, I have adjusted everything as per the book, I'm begining to think Keith is right about the extra compression with the VH. Mine has had a rebore and new piston but is not tight when kicked over. The bugger just wont grip to make it fire up.
Thanks to both Dave and Keith, Steve re location I'm from nr Wigan ('nuff said I guess)

charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby charles.bulloch » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:25 pm

Hi, John,

I have had problems with the drive on my VH, but it was caused by the crankshaft shock absorber which was well worn. Its worth checking.

Charlie

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:16 am

If you wish to persist with the 350 clutch set up you have to increase the spring pressure and the clutch will be harder to disengage. (More load at the lever). This might not bother you so much if you have a Teflon lined cable. Nev

john lloyd

Re: VH Clutch adjustment?

Postby john lloyd » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:58 pm

Thanks Nev, I am trying to source a VH clutch now, but just wondered if the springs have lost their strength,could this be the problem? and is it worth buying a new set from Drags.
Cheers John

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:48 am

Someone fully familiar could tell by the feel of the clutch. Get new ones if you think that will help and I would want to know if they were any stronger than the ones you have. The fibre plate equipped clutches need stronger springs, as the coefficient of friction is less, so if someone knows what they are about there, they should have some of the stronger springs. When you adjust them make sure they don't coil bind on disengagement or you will pull the nipple off the end of the cable. Nev

Return to “Four stroke”