VH Clutch adjustment?

Singles, twins and fours.
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: VH Clutch adjustment?

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:52 pm

Single spares sec is Pete Kemp, last Friday he went off to a rally in Spain for maybe 3 weeks so if you contact him there might be a delay in the reply.
John Budgen might be another possible source http://www.johnbudgenmotorcycles.co.uk/

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Gary.Durrant
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Gary.Durrant » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:39 pm

hi Paul

thanks for pointing out the sprocket- I wondered why it appeared mismatched

and thanks for confirming that my sliding member is outside of specified tolerance :D
AOMCC membership no. 4811
1957 VH
1980 Yamaha XS850
1981 Honda CM200

Gary.Durrant
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Gary.Durrant » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:50 pm

thanks Simon, I'll have a look there as welll
1957 VH
1980 Yamaha XS850
1981 Honda CM200

Gary.Durrant
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Gary.Durrant » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:46 pm

paul.jameson wrote:I can confirm that your sliding member is life expired. Some would use another word to describe it, possibly preceded by the word "completely". Pete Kemp should be able to supply but don't expect an immediate response as I know he is in Spain at present. Buy a new sprocket while you are at it. You have been using an early sprocket with the narrow cush drive on a late sliding member which is why you have the groove in the sliding member. The later sprockets have the wider face on the cush drive to match that of the sliding member.

as suggested by Paul I ordered a new engine sprocket (1339-46) as listed in my parts book (for 1956-58) and I also checked against Draganfly website (listed as for 46-58). I received the engine sprocket from Draganfly today and the cam in the center is the same diameter as the old one (albeit a completely different cam profile, due to wear I assume). Have they sent me the wrong one?

Hopefully my new sliding member will arrive in the next day or two and I can see how it fits with this sprocket...

cheers

Gary
1957 VH
1980 Yamaha XS850
1981 Honda CM200

Gary.Durrant
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Gary.Durrant » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:37 am

I phoned Draganfly yesterday and they are certain that the new engine sprocket they sent me is correct

got the new sliding member yesterday (thanks Dave) and put everything back together and it works!

happy days, back on the road

thanks for all your help & advice

Gary
1957 VH
1980 Yamaha XS850
1981 Honda CM200

ChrisNewton

Postby ChrisNewton » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Good Evening - new member to the forum - I purchased the bike that started the thread from John Lloyd last week -the issue still exists -- I am thinking the most likely issue is the sliding member and sprocket has gone the way Gary's (above thread) went - can I ask is this part once located from Dragonfly or someone else - easy to fit - its been a long time since I have played - and whilst I'm am not a novice - my Father who would have given guidance is no longer alive to ask .... So as I've adjusted the clutch and looked at the rod situation - and because John has spent a small fortune renovating the bike replacing clutch parts etc. it will no doubt be something that's less easy to fix .
the bike will kick over although it appears to have clutch slip some times whilst kicking over - once started I can engage gear and in first gear on low revs move off - as soon as the throttle is open a tad - nothing apart from engine revs and what I would conclude is clutch slip.

so what I'm asking is - time frames to complete the sliding member and sprocket swap over ? and should I prepare myself for some fiddly times ahead ....its also the most costly parts to replace - so its bound to be this and nothing else ....any help please ...thanks in advance

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby simon.holyfield » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:12 pm

Is a bike of this vintage supposed to have friction material in the bottom of the basket?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'78 CX500
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

ChrisNewton

Postby ChrisNewton » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Simon ? is this for me ?

dave.owen

Postby dave.owen » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:03 pm

Friction material I believe only 54on

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:12 pm

Go and do the setting off in first gear then opening the throttle bit again. Once the bike has experienced the "clutch slip", put your hand on the clutch dome. If it is clutch slip, the dome will be hot. If it is the sprocket and sliding member slipping, the clutch dome will be cold.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Return to “Four stroke”