BSA spokes

Singles, twins and fours.
charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

BSA spokes

Postby charles.bulloch » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi, all.

Does anyone have a parts book which lists the spoke lengths for a BSA 8" single side finned drum type wheel? Drags quotes for the non-finned drum only. These spokes (67-5544 and 67-5545) do not fit my drum. Then I can fit an alloy rim.

This brake is fitted to my VH and its like a disc.

Charlie

malcolm.johnson

Re: BSA spokes

Postby malcolm.johnson » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:51 pm

I hope I am dealing with the same 8 inch BSA single sided front brake. If I am I can help as Central Wheel Components have always supplied a couple of spares when ordering a set of spokes and I have them here in front of me to measure for you. First lets check we are talking about the same brake. I am currently building an A10 special and using the 8 inch single sided front brake with two fins to the outside of the larger spoke flange and has holes in the drum back allegedly meant for cooling? Mine has core plugs blocking the larger holes but the smaller holes are open to the brake internals.
Both spokes are straight (not butted) and are 8 3/4 inches and 6 inches to the inside of the bend. The shorter spoke has a 90 degree bend and the longer looks as near 100 degrees as I can measure.
What does mystify me though, is that I have also in recent times built a front wheel for a BSA rigid/teles B33 using the same, (but earlier) 8 inch brake, but with no holes or fins.... and used the same spoke sets! I have never referred to parts lists though for spokes. The rim in both cases has been 19 inch WM2. Hope this helps.

charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby charles.bulloch » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks very much Malcolm. These measurements seem right.

Charlie

charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby charles.bulloch » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:46 pm

Hi, all,

does anyone know the offset for the rim?

Charlie

charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby charles.bulloch » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:34 pm

The offset is 17mm.

I am building the opposite to Malcolm. Its all together but every fourth pair of spokes is a little too long. Also the spokes on the non-brake side have turned out to be 4x instead of 3x despite comparing it to my other wheel.

Incompetence?

Charlie

malcolm.johnson

Postby malcolm.johnson » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:20 pm

I always true the wheel first ie. make it round and run true. Then if I know the offset measurement, I will do that also in my jig, or alternatively fit the trued wheel into the bike and move the rim right or left, to suit the centre line of the machine coming from the headstock. With a rear wheel I always check chain line first before moving the rim. Once I am happy with the wheel I go through a progressive tensioning of the spokes. You seem to be having a problem with your wheel, what is meant by 4x and 3x? Can you post a picture of your wheel so far? I`ll see if I can help.
Malcolm

Return to “Four stroke”