Overheating Brakes

Singles, twins and fours.
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Overheating Brakes

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:23 pm

Has anyone any advice on adjusting the single sided front brake? I follow the procedure in Waller, but I have, for the second time, overheated the brake. I loosen the cable, then turn the fulcrum adjuster until I can turn it no more - and then back one notch. Then I adjust the cable.

This is what happened last time:

http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.co.uk ... rakes.html

I think maybe I have it a little tight... It seems fine on the road for the first 20 miles or so (it rubs slightly when reversing though), but then it becomes grabby, causing vibration in the forks & it gets very hot. I measured 117 degrees on the drum when I stopped yesterday, which seems a bit excessive...
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

adrie.degraaff

Re: Overheating Brakes

Postby adrie.degraaff » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:56 am

The brake material is to soft?
A friend wanted a good brake so he ordered softer brake linings ending with 2 curved frontfork legs.
In those days the rearbrake was the most inportant.

keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby keith.hodgenia » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:34 am

Simon, you could try getting the front wheel off the ground and adjusting till it is not rubbing. It is a good idea to clean out the dust regularly while a new set of linings are bedding in.

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:25 pm

I have overheated the front brake on my KH, trying to get the thing to work better. I simply got the adjustment that bit too tight. That particular single sided tele fork brake is not a good one. The one on my MKII was identical and worked much better. I am inclined to wonder whether the brake cam needs renewal, along with a replacement tube in the brakeplate. Meanwhile, I adjust the brake very carefully. It is easy to be misled by the brake cable being too short if you adjust with the front wheel off the ground. I now keep a degree of compression in the forks by means of a tie down between handlebars and wheel spindle before I jack the front wheel up.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:35 am

Paul,
A comment on what you are doing with the tie down.

I recently posted about my experiences of jacking the bike up to adjust the cam. I discovered that the brake cable was too short since it was snagging on the fork yoke and pulling on the front brake when the fork went to full extension. It was very fortunate that I did. I have since made a new cable, cut to the correct length ( a little slack above the yoke with the forks fully extended) to prevent it snagging.

I did not fancy the prospect of the front brake coming on by itself as I went over a bump at speed!

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:43 pm

Keith,

If you go over the bump fast enough, the front wheel is in the air when the brake comes on so it has no effect. Once the front wheel hits the deck, the forks are compressed and the brake ( which didn't work too well anyway) comes off instantly. So no problem.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Return to “Four stroke”