ariel single cam gear

Singles, twins and fours.
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: ariel single cam gear

Postby david.anderson » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:25 am

I think that you will find that if the balance holes were first added during the 1940s, that it was not across the board, particularly for bikes headed to the colonies.
My previous photo shows a genuine 1949 cam (bottom right) and the photo below is of a grease tin (about 1950 vintage) in which my father had stored a cam that he removed from a 1950VH. My father worked for Roydons, a large Sydney motorcycle wrecker for a short period of time in 1951. During that time he collected and labelled numerous VH parts, which has subsequently been of benefit to me, thanks dad. To this day my father remembers removing and labelling the 1950 cam
David
DSCN0030.JPG

chris.shearwood
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby chris.shearwood » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:49 pm

There are no balance holes in the cam gear of my 1950 NG although I can't guarantee that it is the original one. It seems unlikely that someone would have replaced the cam gear with an earlier one though.
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:22 pm

What about Red Hunter having balancing holes? the others not.

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:39 pm

Adrie's analysis on the previous page has to be correct. Even if the holes did balance the small base circle twin lobe cam then no way would they balance the F cam or the A6/664. So why on earth do it? And why on some cams but not others?
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:57 pm

There are 2 cams in my possession that I can positively identify the year of, the cam from my fathers 1949VH and the 1950 cam above were both red hunter cams and neither have the balance hole.
I do have another thought. We know that Ariel did not have gear cutting capability when it came to gearboxes. When Burman closed up shop it was regarded as one of the main reasons for the end of the Ariel marque (even though BSA had a gear cutting workshop).
I would say that it is reasonable to assume that Ariel did not manufacture the cam gears but that they were contracted out. Could it be that there were 2 different suppliers of the cam gear.
David

steve.clarke

Postby steve.clarke » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:31 pm

Is it a total weight/change of material issue? are the all the same weight holes or not, are they all the same thickness? just a thought.
57VH 58VH 56HS IN A 58FH Frame, mortal remains of a 57NH 1999 FZS 600

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:57 am

The last batch of timing gears I had made were all given the four holes. Maybe it doesn't fully balance the cam lobes but it can't hurt either, if it only goes part way. It could allow some oil through that wouldn't other wise get there. The gear profile was generated and as such is geometrically spot on. They make no noise. Runout of the mainshaft will make noise, so minimise or eliminate it. Nev

Return to “Four stroke”