Chrome Mudgards?

Singles, twins and fours.
pauldridge
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Chrome Mudgards?

Postby pauldridge » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:17 am

I recently became owner of my first Ariel... a '53SQ 4 MK II. The bike has chrome mudgards.. all the supports seem OEM, but I have yet to see another picture of a MK II of this vintage without painted mudgards. the chrome is in beautiful condition, and I'd be foolish to blast it off and paint, but just wondering if perhaps chrome was an option for the period, or represents some previous owner's idea of "enhancement?

Phil
Austin, TX
Phil Auldridge Austin, Texas - USA
Visit the North America Ariel forum: http://arielnorthamerica.org/phpBB3/
53 SQ 4 MK II, '72 Norton Commando, '78 BMW R100/7, '79 Honda CBX, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage

Steven.Carter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Chrome Mudgards?

Postby Steven.Carter » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:10 am

Welcome Phil.
I'm not sure if you could order from the factory chrome mudguards. I think it's more then likely a previous owner had it done. Can you post a picture?
I had a trip to Austin last year, had a great time, I even brought you some much needed rain. :D
Steve

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:16 am

pauldridge wrote:he chrome is in beautiful condition, and I'd be foolish to blast it off and paint

You cann't blast chrome off, you have to reverse the chroming proces and than it's off in minutes, (you can do it at home easely), leaving the under laying nickel wich is soft so you can sandpaper it and spray.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:56 am

Chrome will come off with a dilute solution of Hydrochloric acid, leaving the nickel untouched. I don't know about Nickel being soft. I use etch prime a lot and if you can rough up the surface a bit I feel the paint job will be more successful. Old pieces of belt sanding sheet might work in an orbital sander . I was told by someone who should know that the HS models sometimes had chromed mudguards and I think it was offered on some sporty models pre war on numerous brands. The alternative is alloy which cracks with fatigue in a fairly short time . I think post war Gold Star BSA'a run chrome guards . and the MK 1 Jackson Rotrax, Does. rear guard only. Nev

pauldridge
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby pauldridge » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:10 am

here's my bike. I'll admit the painted surface looks more correct, but for the time being, I bought this to ride and enjoy. I'd rather spend my money on new wheels and spokes, as well as the huge order I've just placed with Draganfly.. new engine-to-tip exhausts, most all new stainless hardware, etc.

ariel email.JPG

Today the bike started and ran for the first time in likely 3-4 years, after some extensive "recommissioning" efforts on my part. Those non-standard pipes don't appear to have much silencer built in, so it has a nice robust sound.. all the videos I've seen of more "correct" bikes seem to be almost whisper quiet.. I'll almost hate to ditch these pipes, but they are pretty crusty, and don't look like they belong on the bike. (and, before anyone mentions, those yellow ignition wires will definitely be gone by the end of the week.. can't imagine why anyone would disgrace this bike like that!)

Phil
Phil Auldridge Austin, Texas - USA
Visit the North America Ariel forum: http://arielnorthamerica.org/phpBB3/
53 SQ 4 MK II, '72 Norton Commando, '78 BMW R100/7, '79 Honda CBX, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage

roger.fellows
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby roger.fellows » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:24 pm

The silencers will give you better ground clearance!

Return to “Four stroke”