Square 4 MK II petrol tank fitment

Singles, twins and fours.
pauldridge
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Square 4 MK II petrol tank fitment

Postby pauldridge » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:15 am

I'm used to it (Paul).. it is the user name that throws people off!
Phil Auldridge Austin, Texas - USA
Visit the North America Ariel forum: http://arielnorthamerica.org/phpBB3/
53 SQ 4 MK II, '72 Norton Commando, '78 BMW R100/7, '79 Honda CBX, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage

allan burgess

Postby allan burgess » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:36 am

I got a tank from Drags for my Mk1 sq4 tele plunger last Easter.. To suit a 1952 frame the frame lugs fitted every thing fitted but it was at the limit in other words it only just fitted . I got it all ready and put fuel in to the tank this tank was £350 from drags the damn thing had a hole in it where the manufacturer had ground through the skin to prep for chrome. It went back to drags and I got reimbursed for the tank and the return postage I then got in touch with the India sales for the new tanks it arrived Friday last. £150 including postage I fitted it today . front to rear the hole centre's are incorrect side to side they are also incorrect as a Time served sheet metal worker we would refer to this as plus or minus a chunk . I opened the holes up in the frame rear lugs yes its high tensile you have to use a slow cutting speed and a squirt of WD40 I then noted that when the tank was fitted the bolts on the top yolk handlebar clamps touched the tank on the right hand side I removed the rubber tank mounts and put thinner ones in. The threads in the tank are 5/16 whitworth Then it started getting complicated I tried the oil guage in the tank it would not go in I cleaned out the welds and tried again still no joy I put the oil guage in the lathe and took 10 thou off the shell I made a tool to stretch open the hole in the tank. With a stretch I Heated the tank with a hot air gun and pushed the tool into the hole a bit at a time let it cool and do the same again the tank had a hole 1".990 the oil gauge measured 2".015
eventually I got the tank to accept the Gauge then I came to the bridge pipe for the fuel cross over they did not drill them through and the centre's were wrong . I got over this with a bespoke bridge pipe the fuel tank cap would not fit in the hole I had to clean off the welds with a KIp stone grinder and a linishing mop the lug that mounts the oil gauge was only attached on one side I had to braze it into place the bottom line if you are not competent dont buy one . Today the bike fired up for the first time since 1959 whoopee

pauldridge
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby pauldridge » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:12 am

Yes, it's definitely you get what you pay for, but at a net $50 after my complaints, hopefully I can bring mine to life. Thankfully I have a pretty fully equipped hobby shop.. large milling machine, MIG and TIG welders, bead blaster, etc., so I am just going to cut all the mounting tabs off the tank, re-tap correctly, and TIG weld them exactly where they should be. A bit of grinding on the gas cap and hopefully all will be well. At least, it does fit on the frame, but I haven't yet tested for leaks.

Definitely crude to say the least!
Phil Auldridge Austin, Texas - USA
Visit the North America Ariel forum: http://arielnorthamerica.org/phpBB3/
53 SQ 4 MK II, '72 Norton Commando, '78 BMW R100/7, '79 Honda CBX, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage

stuart.wilby

Postby stuart.wilby » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:42 am

Phil, i have one of these tanks as a spare and it's on the bike just now, i had an issue wth one tank bolt being about 2 to 3 mm out of centre and the threaded plate not being sat squarely on the underside, so with some checks done without the washers to see where the tight spot was mostly evident, i discovered where the 2 holes were the tightest, i took 2 millimetres off the shank off the 2 bolts under the head of the bolt for about 12mm in length so that when the 1st bolt was installed i could shift the tank into the space created by the thinner shank, this allowed the fitting of the last bolt, i admit, the tank quality is not as good as my original tank (urgently being refurbished) but the tank fits ok, also, the balance pipe was not correct either, the centres of which is about 1/2 inch bigger than the standard pipe, i have had to make a new one to make it work.
Also, the seat bolt fouled the tank tunnel, this shoved the tank mounting holes off centre with the frame, (needed to make a bigger gap with the hammer).
All in all it is not a copy, nowhere near, but bless em they are the only ones having a go at providing us with these kind of spares, if they get it right more people will buy them as replacements.
1948 4G Square.

Return to “Four stroke”