Ariel Square 4 Paint

Singles, twins and fours.
Alec.Elliot

Ariel Square 4 Paint

Postby Alec.Elliot » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi there

I am currently rebuilding a Square 4 (A 55 frame with a 47 Engine..... Hybrid or mongrel depending on your perspective!) and have a coupe of questions.

1. The petrol tank is back from the platers now and I wonder if anyone has a template drawing for the area that should be left unpainted on the tank? (I thought I saw them once on the AOMCC website but cannot get in there at the moment.)

2. What is the correct description and/ or modern equivalent of the 55 colour?

3. What are peoples thoughts on going as mad as a box of frogs and painting it in the 53 Wedgewood blue colour?

Ariel Sq 4 pics 054.JPG

All the best

Alec

brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby brenton.roy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:29 am

Hi Alec, you could try writing to the archivist. The club has patterns for some tank schemes. Other than that, the catalogue gives a pretty good view of where the lower chrome stripe goes.
The Draganfly site gives paint colours, based on UK cars. The usefulness of this depends on where you live.
Some people really like the Wedgewood (Coronation?) blue.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

GuyH
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Ariel Square 4 Paint

Postby GuyH » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:18 am

Hi Alec,

You could try the Danish Ariel Owners Club website. They have a load of useful links to tank patterns amd templates: http://www.arielklubben.dk/tank_templates.html

I haven't used them myself so unfortunately can't vouch for their accuracy but they look good to me.
1939 600 OHV 4F, 1956 MKII Square Four, a Healey, 1939 OH 250, 1939 OG 250 plus a couple of OG250 projects, 1920 Ariel V twin project and a variety of lesser makes

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:25 am

The blue shows every grease mark. Terribly hard to keep clean. The black frame gets around that problem.
With the Vauxhall flutes you really have to chrome that area. Make sure they don't polish the edges too thin.
I have a 52 KH twin with anstey links like yours, that somebody has chromed the tank and I carefully removed some of the paint to resemble the earlier way of doing it and I was going to use gold edges, too. The paint is the later colour being a maroon . I actually think it looks ok. The flutes may compromise that idea. with your tank.
It's a shame to chrome the whole tank and only leave the flutes and a bit at the lower front on each side to show. I can't see the point in polishing the whole lot either. You should probably etch it to make it (the paint) adhere better. Nev

Alec.Elliot

Postby Alec.Elliot » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi there

Thanks for the advice. I have downloaded a suitable tank template. I really like the Wedgewood Blue but the thought of all that cleaning really puts me off. (Especially here running up and down the rural lanes the Worcestershire/ Herfordshire border. So I have decided I am going for the 54 - 58 Deep Claret. The powder coating people (Redditch Shotblasting) recommend that I wet spray the tank. I will have a go at that once the weather warms up a bit.

Once again thanks for the info.
Best regards

Alec

Once again, thanks for your comments

admin

Re:

Postby admin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:39 am

Alec.Elliot wrote:Worcestershire/ Herfordshire border.

I am in Herefordshire as well ...
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

Return to “Four stroke”