Adjustable mag sprocket

Singles, twins and fours.
cmfalco
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Adjustable mag sprocket

Postby cmfalco » Mon May 21, 2018 6:05 pm

david.anderson wrote:I believe this link is what you are after. http://www.mdamotorcycleengineering.com.au/index.html
Thanks for that link. I've contacted them and received a quick reply saying they would get back to me with a price, including shipping, for sending one for my 1928 Ariel to the U.S.

Accurately setting the timing is always a fiddly job because sprockets/gears almost invariably rotate on the taper just a little as the nut is tightened so I welcome the ability make any necessary small adjustment after the fact. Of course, being able to accurately set the timing to a fraction of a degree of any desired value begs the question of precisely what value to accurately set it to, but that's a different (but related) issue.

Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Bob.Murphy » Mon May 21, 2018 11:05 pm

Ian.Taylor wrote: My 31 Norton has No such boss and when you try to remove the sprocket , I get worried that I may break a case trying to get the sprocket off. Lever s behind the sprocket and try to tap the mag shaft is not my idea of fun.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but back in the 1960s I bought a small, simple puller with a slotted beam and three pairs of jaws.

One set was for pulling sprockets and consisted of some round bar with a 'waist' machined into them:

DSCN8271.JPG

They fit between the sprocket teeth and spread the load - demonstrated here on a Panther Engine Sprocket (which is a bit big for the puller).

DSCN8272.JPG

This arrangement has to be better than levering the sprocket off the taper against the casing!

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Mon May 21, 2018 11:16 pm

Not trying to knock it but with an uneven number of teeth, especially with small sprockets it doesn't work very well. A puller is essential for the mag sprocket. the Ariel ones are fine. I have an old original genuine puller that looks daggy but I couldn't be without it. Nev

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Tue May 22, 2018 12:06 am

I pulled a Panther sprocket yesterday on a busted engine,big three jaw puller with plenty of grip ,still bent the teeth,and needed a couple of heavy blows against the taper to free it.To the uninitiated ,Panther used no keyway on a 600cc single,relying entirely on a taper to hold if done up tight enough...Now I have to figure how to get the cases apart,they are corroded to the flywheels.

Return to “Four stroke”