Fuel additives

Singles, twins and fours.
Keith.owen
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Fuel additives

Postby Keith.owen » Mon May 21, 2018 10:29 am

Hi All,
Yesterday I popped into the local BP garage to fill up with Super and saw they had a variety of fuel additives. What caught my eye was leaded fuel additive. I have not tended to use anything at all, but since I'm running in a new motor I would welcome people's opinions on the validity of additives...........will they make any real difference?

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

camstevens

Re: Fuel additives

Postby camstevens » Mon May 21, 2018 5:16 pm

My understanding is that lead is an essential additive for older-style valve guides (lubricate and cool).....if that's case not using lead additive on an older bike being run in is probably a bad thing! My SQ4 was ruthlessly thrashed before I got it, and lead additives were apparently also not used........in particular my inlet valves were seized/sticky upon disassembly.

Cam

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby paul.jameson » Mon May 21, 2018 9:21 pm

I still use the Castrol Valvemaster in my bikes (because I have some) but I believe it is no longer produced. This counters the valve seat recession caused on some old engines by lack of lead in the fuel. Ariel tended to use high quality materials and so there is no real need to use products like this on an Ariel since the valve seat recession is negligible compared with (for example) my Triumph 2000 car when I ran it on LPG in the early 1980s.

Square Fours are good at sticking valves. My MKII suffered from sticking inlet valves at start up after little more than 1000 miles from rebuild. This happened one morning after the Club Long Distance Run and Allan Simpson said to me "It's no good Paul, you will have to take the head off." This spurred the necessary obstinacy and I gave the bike a (very) good dose of Redex over a prolonged period. I never did remove the head - there was no need.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), 54 4G Mk IV (project), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser.

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Tue May 22, 2018 9:26 am

Hi Paul,
Presumably the Redex Lead additive is not the same as the upper cylinder lubricant that they used to sell by the shot at filling stations years aago?

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Tue May 22, 2018 10:09 am

I have never worried about lead additive.......I dont think its necessary or desirable in a bike motor.......Remember that the ethyl lead additive came in around 1930,and not all fuels had lead in them even in 1960.The motors that were designed specifically for leaded fuels,especially some Fords,had valves made of very cheap materials ,like aluminized mild steel.I would use the additive in any old car or truck motor though.......I might add that bad inlet seat wear is caused by dirt ,result of no air filter.,lead only affects exhaust valves.

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Wed May 23, 2018 9:12 am

Hi,
I think I'll save my money then!

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH

Return to “Four stroke”