1928 Black Ariel for the Cannonball

Singles, twins and fours.
cmfalco
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

1928 Black Ariel for the Cannonball

Postby cmfalco » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:58 pm

Since it reaches a wider audience than the AOMCC Forum I've been posting details of my rebuild of my 1928 Ariel Model C on BritBike Forum where to date it has obtained over 128k views and 1000 replies:

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthrea ... Post691207
(note: above link replaces the faulty one noted in the following email)

The reason for this post is, thirteen months after I started to tear it down to the last nut and bolt, all but a few details are done and I fired up the Ariel for the first time this week (on the first kick!). I'm about to start a series of shake-down runs of ever-increasing length to make sure it is as ready as it can be for the Cannonball.

Since I'm the only one who will be on an Ariel you can easily spot me on the list of Cannonball riders

http://motorcyclecannonball.com/riders/

but if you want to save time skimming the list I'm #123 (I couldn't have the first entry number so I picked the last, which also happens to be as easy to remember as, um, 123...).

Since I was unable to find much of the information elsewhere, in the course of my rebuild I extensively documented dimensions, weights, spring constants, etc. Because that information should be useful to other Black Ariel owners in the future, when I'm happy I have nothing more to add to the document (now 7 pages) I'll upload it as a pdf where the moderator can copy it to 'Library' if he wishes. Also, starting from what seemed to be essentially no information at all, I managed to slowly piece together a 'shop manual' for the Ariel using material I found in a wide variety of sources, organized in sections ('Head, Valves & Rockers', 'Clutch', 'Forks', etc.). That 'manual' is now 2-3/4" thick (~680 pages) in two 3-ring binders so I probably won't upload it... I'll have it along on the Cannonball, of course, but fingers crossed I won't have to open it during those two weeks.
Last edited by cmfalco on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.