m2 square 4

Singles, twins and fours.
william shortall

m2 square 4

Postby william shortall » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:21 pm

I am looking to get rid of the headlight cowl on my bike as it is fibreglass can i fit the top yoke which has the speedo in and put the top fork covers on to support the head lamp if so has anyone got any for sale or were i can get some

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: m2 square 4

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:19 pm

The earlier yoke with the speedo housing can be fitted but as well as the alloy yoke (probably best to get one with the reinforcement either side of the speedo, underneath - although I've never come across a broken one) and the fork shrouds with the ears you'll need fork the top adapters (top fork leg bolts are smaller diameter), the top bolts themselves, anti-rattle rubbers and washers (between yoke and shroud tops) and the handelbar clamps. (And maybe a new flat bar to retain the speedo).
I don't think any of that is too difficult to pick up, over time, but there's nothing wrong with fibreglass (unless you prefer the earlier styling) - I've got fibreglass mudguards, they're lighter, never rust and most people don't notice that they're not steel!

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: m2 square 4

Postby paul.jameson » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:28 pm

I would echo Simon's comments but add that you will need a new headlamp shell with the switch and ammeter on a panel at the back. This arrangement works better than the headlamp cowl because the contacts of the switch are protected inside the headlamp. On the cowl, these need cleaning at frequent intervals if you use the bike in rain and especially if there is salt on the roads.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Return to “Four stroke”