Drags Electronic Ignition Mk11 ignition light

Singles, twins and fours.
keith wainwright
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Drags Electronic Ignition Mk11 ignition light

Postby keith wainwright » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi all
Fitted the Drags IGN-15 Electronic ignition kit on my Mk11, works well and engine seams to be operating a lot smother, however that could be just me
justifying spending £100.00 quid. Question anybody else fitted this kit. Normally the white ignition light cable would be connected to CB + terminal on coil but using the electronic ignition kit this terminal goes direct to + earth. So question is the white lead from ignition light in amp meter, how does it connect into wiring circuit to activate the ignition light with electronic ignition kit installed. Keith

keith wainwright
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Drags Electronic Ignition Mk11 ignition light

Postby keith wainwright » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:12 pm

Hi guys resolved that problem it connects to the positive terminal on coil (CB) works fine. Keith

MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby MARK.WALSH » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:42 pm

Keith
I've contemplated fitting one of these kits but wondered if there were any discernible benefits and what were the disadvantages.
Does the unit drain or require more current etc .
Also be good to know in what way is your square 4 better. Better idle, pick up etc. Any advice would be good before I delve into the wallet
Thanks
Mark

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby paul.jameson » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Mark,

Grab hold of the distributor cam. If you can feel play, an electronic system is worthwhile. If there is no play, carry on with the points system until you get fed up with the associated maintenance issues.
Remarkably, I have a play free distributor for the Healey project, although it isn't the one which was originally fitted. I am fitting electronic ignition but I will carry the spare baseplate with the points in case of trouble. On the previous Healey I did the same and once had to fit the points system when the electronics went down in Brittany.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby MARK.WALSH » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:01 pm

Paul
thanks for the advice, Ill try looking for play in the system next weekend. I must admit I am happy with the distributor and points set up and I don't get any particular issues.
I might just replace the bushes if there is any play in the system , but I think the idea of carrying spare baseplates etc in the toolbox is a good idea in case the inevitable happens, - maybe a spare coil also , as in the past one sprung a leak and failed me 3 miles from home - that was a long push!

many thanks
Mark

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:13 pm

Mark,
The bushes for the distributor shaft can be replaced easily enough but the problem is usually where the cam rotates on the top of the shaft to provide the auto advance. There are no bushes here so the only option is a new shaft and cam - if you can find them. So if you have wear here, the electronic option makes sense as it doesn't loose accuracy with wear.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby MARK.WALSH » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:19 pm

ahh! Just looked at an exploded diagram of the distributor and I see what you mean Paul.
I hadn't thought it through properly . Best I inspect it thoroughly over the weekend.
Thanks for the good advice. really helpful
Mark

Return to “Four stroke”