28 Model B rear hub

Singles, twins and fours.
markus.nikot
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

28 Model B rear hub

Postby markus.nikot » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:22 pm

While investigating the condition of my Model B I found a badly worn rear brake drum.
Thickness of the drum material is about 1,7mm/0,07in, with a step to the outer end. Don't know the original thickness but think it could be 3-4mm/0,12-0,16in. It seems to me quite dangerous to ride this.

Have't heard about a proper repair for these hub units, or has someone an idea? If not, I’m looking for replacement, the good old B has to be on the road.

Markus
Attachments
C13-37.jpg
C13-37.jpg (37.84 KiB) Viewed 323 times
IMG_1693.jpg
IMG_1686.jpg
AOMCC German Branch Secretary
some Ariel - only Ariel

john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 28 Model B rear hub

Postby john.whiting » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:58 pm

Vintage car restorers get brake drums built up and reground with plasma/arc spraying.That is pretty thin though..........looks like the drum is steel,which scores easily,but is much stronger than cast iron,so a buildup should be ok.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:38 am

They do seem to wear thin at times. I'm pretty sure a later cast hub will fit (with different spokes and angles) TRY the whole wheel. I know the backing plate matches. It should keep you going till you find something. The spoke location will ensure there's no weakening of the wheel, in the original set up, being in the side face of the drum. You should have a sheet of metal like a large washer, bolted by some 2 BA bolts there preventing any broken spokes dropping back into the inside of the drum. The sprocket is part of the drum as well on those models. The "proper " fix would entail remanufacturing the drum and sprocket section and carefully welding it on the face of the original hub. It would have to run dead true or your chain would run tight and loose and the brake be erratic. (out of round). I would weld a bigger piece on and true it to size later and bolt a later sprocket on and have nuts on it. My '30. is done like that. Nev .

Pete.Silson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Pete.Silson » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:36 pm

Markus

Is this any use to you?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/253974135256

Pete

Return to “Four stroke”