Front Forks Mk 1 Square Four

Singles, twins and fours.
keith wainwright
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Front Forks Mk 1 Square Four

Postby keith wainwright » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:07 am

Hi guys
Been waiting 4 months for front forks springs from Drags they are on back order.
Having looked at Paul Goffs front fork kits for BSA A/B models.
I was wondering if anybody has attempted to install on the Ariel Forks. When installed gives 2 way damping sound brilliant. I believe I read somewhere that Ariels fitted BSA front forks?
Any information would be great thank you. Keith

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Front Forks Mk 1 Square Four

Postby paul.jameson » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:23 pm

Please can I correct you Keith. BSA fitted Ariel front forks, not the other way round. Son Rob has the Paul Goff kit fitted on his VH so over to you Rob.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

keith wainwright
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby keith wainwright » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks for correcting me Paul . Still interested if it's a visibility using Paul Goff kit Keith

Leejm

Postby Leejm » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:14 pm

What springs are you after Keith?
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.

robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby robjameson » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:46 pm

The Paul Goff kit will fit on a 56-59 Ariel fork with very little issue, and the two way damping works extremely well when the air gap is set correctly.

I can imagine that with a little machining work you could persuade the kit to fit the earlier forks. The main issue is that they come threaded for the larger diameter, where the earlier forks have the fork top nut adapter to fit the smaller top nut through the earlier top yoke.

My guess is that you would have to make a set of smaller top nuts with a thread on the inside for the compression dampers.

You might need to measure to make sure the height is correct, because that will massively affect the damping if it is too high/low.

It is MUCH easier to get the air gap right when you have the drain screws at the bottom of the sliders!

Of course, if you just want the progressive springs, they are a straight swap.
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1956 Ariel KH (LARGE project!)

pete.collings
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby pete.collings » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:29 pm

When I fitted the Eddie Dow type damping assembly, which I think the Paul Goff kit is based on, it was in a set of the pre 56 forks. Rather than make new top nuts, if you turn up a plug for the nut that is an interference fit (and use some loctite as an added safety feature), the tie rods can be screwed into that. Have the plug end flush with the bottom of the top nut, so a locknut can be fitted to keep the depth of the damper assy correct. Predrilling and tapping the plug makes the job easier, you can always run a tap through to ease any stiffness.
Getting the oil level correct is fiddly, using a large syringe (I brought one from a rabbit sanctuary!) and a length of clear tubing marked with the required depth allows one to suck up any overfilling with oil.

keith wainwright
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Paul Goffs BSA Front Fork Upgrade Kit

Postby keith wainwright » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:16 am

Re Paul Goeffs Front Fork Upgrade Kit FUOK002

Hi Paul Rob and Pete

Thanks for the information you supplied to me great stuff, Cant understand how I managed to get round to replying? I will keep you posted on progress.
The main question, did it improve the front fork operation?
Keep safe guys and girls we are all vulnerable to the dreaded Corona, we have got to keep those bikes running, cant do it if we are not around.
Question the sun is out, is it OK to take the bikes for a spin at this present time? Petrol is cheap.
Kind Regards Keith

Leejm

Postby Leejm » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:22 am

Well the riding is abit unsure of. At the start they said it was fine for riding bikes as you will not be in contact with others. Since then I have seen and heard conflicting information. So be honest not sure now! I do think common sense should pay apart in this. I don't see a problem as you will be on your own no way you can spread anything.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.

charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby charles.bulloch » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:31 am

Acme Stainless will supply suitable fork top nuts.

Gui.dorey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Gui.dorey » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:20 am

As far as riding motorcycles, there’s really nothing against it as one is alone. However, where I live the authorities have asked everyone to avoid doing any activities that might pose a higher risk of accidents. The reasoning being that if one does have an accident, one is again putting a further strain on firemen, police and of course medical staff. Motorcycle riding is an example of an activity that is considered to have a higher risk of accidents. Maybe it is an exaggeration, but to be considered.

Anyway, keep safe everyone.

Return to “Four stroke”