Square 4 wheel rim size.

Singles, twins and fours.
malcolm.johnson

Square 4 wheel rim size.

Postby malcolm.johnson » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:36 pm

I have been working on my second 1947 rigid/teles Sq4 , a project I took over several months ago from a deceased enthusiast. There is one new wheel rim with the project with red painted centre and gold lining. I was about to order the second rim and spokes for both, but I noticed the one I have is a 19 inch WM3 rim. On checking it is definitely pierced for the wider rear single sided hub, which I believe should always be laced to an 18 not 19 inch rim (at least according to the books and that is what I fitted to my first one). Would/could that size rim ever be fitted to a post war Sq4 or is it an ordering error? Assuming a no answer, what other Ariels would ever use that size rear rim on the single sided hub?

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Square 4 wheel rim size.

Postby nevhunter » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:13 pm

The only thing to worry about is clearing the chain with the tyre and I don't think there is any problem there. Use a 4.00-19 tyre and it will look right and ride softer and more grip. I use them when I can get them on any (larger) Ariel. The VCH model has one on the rear, standard. Tyre sizes went smaller for the same description many years ago and a 3.50 of today looks like a 3.25 from way back. I only ever fit a 3.25 to very light bikes. Nev

chris.shearwood
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby chris.shearwood » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:50 pm

malcolm.johnson wrote: .... rear single sided hub, which I believe should always be laced to an 18 not 19 inch rim (at least according to the books and that is what I fitted to my first one). Would/could that size rim ever be fitted to a post war Sq4 or is it an ordering error?

Hello Malcolm,
I don't think Ariel published a parts list for the Sq4's produced shortly after the war so when I put my 1946 Sq4 together I used the 1939 Parts List. That list shows a WM2-19 rim for the fixed rear wheel in the rigid frame so that is what I ended up installing. I found that with an 18" rim the spokes tended to bend over the hub flange on the right side while with the 19", the spokes just clear the flange. I have no idea what rim was originally installed on my bike. I don't know if your WM3-19 rim would fit but, to save some money, I think it is worth a try.
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

Pete.Silson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Pete.Silson » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:34 pm

The original rear wheel on my 1946 tele/rigid SQ4 is a WM3-18 with a 4-18 tyre. I'm sure this is an original factory-fitted wheel since I know the history of the machine. I replaced the tyre with a modern 4-18 which looks slightly smaller than the original probably because of the squarer cross-section. The picture below is the original wheel with the rounder original tyre. The spokes are 10G/8G butted on the brake side and 10G (non-butted) on the other.

Pete
Attachments
1946 rear wheel.png

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:58 pm

I think Chris might have found the only reference to use of a 4.00 x 19 WM3 on an Ariel rear wheel. I can't find one in my books, but I don't have the 1939 book Chris refers to. Presumably it will fit, or can be made to, but the speedo will be slightly inaccurate, unless you have a front wheel speedo drive.

In the end, it all depends on how good the rim you have is, whether the cost of a different rim breaks the restoration bank or not - and whether you remember to adjust the spoke lengths to suit the 19inch rim when you order them !
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

malcolm.johnson

Postby malcolm.johnson » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:38 pm

The rim is a fairly old but totally unused (never built) and in perfect condition 19 inch WM3 Radaelli polished stainless already nicely painted and lined. It was all wrapped up until the other day. It is stamped CWC - England which currently would cost at least £150, so it certainly would be nice to use if possible. This is something I need to ponder, before I commit to buying spokes, but thank you all for your input - very helpful.

chris.shearwood

Postby chris.shearwood » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:40 pm

paul.jameson wrote:I think Chris might have found the only reference to use of a 4.00 x 19 WM3 on an Ariel rear wheel. I can't find one in my books, but I don't have the 1939 book Chris refers to.

Hello Paul,
The reference I found was for a WM2-19 rim not a WM3-19. The 1939 Sq4 Parts List is in the Document Repository of the club web site.
Regards, Chris
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

Return to “Four stroke”