4G Conrod Advice

Singles, twins and fours.
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 4G Conrod Advice

Postby Steven.Carter » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:59 am

paul.wirdnam wrote:I took everyone's advice and a package arrived from Bruce this morning. They are now on the tree:

Can't think of anything nicer on a tree :D

allan burgess

Postby allan burgess » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:39 pm

I put new club rods on my restored 38 sq4. I sent back to Bruce the metalled rods out of the 38 4G, Bruce rejected them and asked for shell bearing ones If I wanted the discount. He sent back the 38 4G rods and I sent a set with shells ? I did not understand.? If we are scrapping the Rods why is it only the Shell bearing rods that get a discount. Are the metalled rods OK to use. I have another 51 mk1 engine Just rebuilt Plus another two on the bench ready to restore .I have a shortage of rods now for the discounting . If the metalled rods are OK to use which the club seems to condone, I will have enough,

roger.fellows
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby roger.fellows » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:27 pm

Earlier in this thread it has been pointed out that it is more expensive to re-metal than to purchase new rods - therefore no point in a discount.

pappleton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby pappleton » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:25 am

Hello Allan,
I too can understand that the alloy rods are past their service life and the club wants them out of circulation due to the finite number of crankcases. The steel rods are expensive to re-metal, OK, but do they deteriorate as the alloy rods do? That I don't know. They do however give the opportunity to regrind a crank to remove a minimum amount of material, and add some bigger oversizes if required. Just my take on it
BR, Paul
Paul Appleton '53 VH plunger, '53 VHA rigid - in many boxes, '58 H.D. pan/shovel rigid

Return to “Four stroke”