Burman CP kick start locking

Singles, twins and fours.
Bram

Burman CP kick start locking

Postby Bram » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Hello to all,
i have re-ensebled my CP box. Now i want to kick it but what happens the quadrant is touching the small gear and blocks. If you move the pignon gear a little than the quadrant is moving in and you can kick. It looks like the two outsides of the quadrant and the pignon are blocking, like two gears are not falling in to each other but touching with the tops.
Any one an idea what to do?

Bram

Re: Burman CP kick start locking

Postby Bram » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:35 pm

Update when i don’t let the kick quadrant run completely free i can continue with cranking. If rekease it blocks. Putting it in a gear and move the wheel a little i can kick again

john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby john.whiting » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:31 am

Your assessment is correct......the reason is that the gears should have pointed teeth,not rounded off.If the first tooth on the quadrant is rounded off,you can grind it away and rely on the next tooth to mesh.........dont overdo it tho,or you wont have any teeth.........then you cant join the army!

Bram

Postby Bram » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:05 pm

Hello John,
thanks for your suggestion. I had the same idea. The first tooth should line up the for the rest. I will grind some of, think that will do the trick.

Bram

Bram

Postby Bram » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:29 pm

Hello John
Took the box apart abd found out that the quadrant was wrongly installed on the axle. The “grinded” part was at the end. Could be wrongly installed in the past. Changed it and tested it without the cover, so hopefully this was the solution.

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:04 am

The small ratchet pinion should also have points on the teeth..........when the gear rounds off,the chance of teeth jamming is greatly increased...................despite all this,the gear teeth should be meshed before any force is put on the pedal......kicking violently into mesh is a sure way to round off the teeth on both gears.Even a foolproof sprag mechanism of the Norton box can be wrecked by violent kicking ,as you will witness at any vintage bike rally.

Return to “Four stroke”