SQ4 Brake Light Switch

Singles, twins and fours.
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

SQ4 Brake Light Switch

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:19 pm

Chaps,

Does anyone have a decent picture of their brake light switch? I've got the lower chainguard with the integral switch mount (similar to the one Drags sell for the late SQ4s, shown below) and I'm struggling to understand how the brake rod routes around the switch.

Lower chainguard.jpg

Maybe my brake rod is wrong. Or maybe this chainguard really only works with cable operated rear brakes. I suspect this is the case because I don't think the brake switch was listed for 51 (and maybe not for 52 either) - so I believe the lower chainguard with the brake light switch mount appeared in 53 alongside the cable operated rear brake.

I know the lower chainguard PN 5724-51 was used until 1955; I suspect the brake light switch mount appeared without a change of part number.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four, '58 Huntmaster, '42 W/NG, http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: SQ4 Brake Light Switch

Postby MARK.WALSH » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:41 pm

Simes
Only a few months ago I bought one of these for my 51 square 4 and it fits fine
I have the brake rod as for that year and it is a tight fit. I've only just put the bike back in the garage after a 75 mile blast down the motorway but will try and get a couple of pics for you if you are having trouble
Happy new year
Mark

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:58 pm

That would be great Mark, thanks.

I think you have a crank in your brake your don't you? I found some old pictures last night which I think are of your bike.

It's good to know that you have that guard and it fits. Which brake light switch are you using?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four, '58 Huntmaster, '42 W/NG, http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby MARK.WALSH » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Simes
I originally bent the brake rod to fit long before fitting the lower guard . Fortunately it did not need bending again.
Attached is the best I can do with the bike in the garage hopefully the brake switch can be seen, and although everything is close , there is no fouling or other contact
- Despite the guard doing its best the exhaust silencer and adjacent bike parts still get oily (but maybe not as quickly)

ariel brake.jpg
lower chain guard

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:52 am

That's great Mark, thanks for getting it up so quickly.

That picture gives me the confidence to do what I need to do. You've got more of a bend in your brake rod than me, which is why mine won't clear the switch.

Thanks again.
cheers

Simes

roger.fellows
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby roger.fellows » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:46 am

I obviously can't see everything from here. Is there scope for fitting the switch the other side of the bracket?

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:01 am

roger.fellows wrote:I obviously can't see everything from here. Is there scope for fitting the switch the other side of the bracket?

Yes probably - I hadn't thought of that but it sounds like a good solution.

I'll have a look. Thanks!
cheers

Simes

Return to “Four stroke”