help sq 4 wont run

Singles, twins and fours.
chris.shearwood
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: help sq 4 wont run

Postby chris.shearwood » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:28 pm

Hello Kevin,
Congratulations on taking the right decision. I wish I was in Malaga right now as the forecast here calls for 14" of snow today. If you are patient and persevering you will be able to take that motor apart and put it back together without insurmountable problems. There are many people on this forum who enjoy sharing their extensive Ariel knowledge and answering questions.
Good luck,
Chris
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby simon.holyfield » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:34 pm

We can provide a step by step support facility, no problem!

Are you up for doing it Kevin?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

kevinpender

Postby kevinpender » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:58 pm

OK I will try it .. Currently the love of my life is in the garage and part assembled. All the bits are there.
or my other option is to sell the bike which is very original and in good order.
Thank you for your help. I have some experience of cars and a bantam d5 and ariel colt and sorry to say Honda 50. I have some . mechanical skills?? I think. not a great collection of tools and access to workshop facilities here are pretty poor. I would be concerned about sending major parts to the UK because of Brexit situation.
Anybody Ariel in spain??

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:07 pm

Good stuff Kevin. Let us know when you are going to start.

You'll need to sort out a socket set and set of spanners in whitworth sizes; a dynamo pinion puller, four piston ring compressors and a set of coupling gear pullers/pushers - Draganfly will supply you with these, and a gasket set. If this is just a sludge trap check, machining facilities shouldn't be required and I think you could get this done in a weekend - it's a very simple engine by modern standards.

Have you learned how to post pictures on here? it would be worth testing that out before you start.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

roger.fellows
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby roger.fellows » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Certainly in Italy, that's only just round the corner isn't it?

So pleased we've persuaded you. If you removed the head without busting fins or doing other damage you are obviously not without skills. If somebody else did it for you talk to us first.

The oil pump drive - the nut on the end of the camshaft - is Left Hand thread if you've not got that far yet. It's useful to make sure the nuts on the timing side cranks have been loosened just a tad before you take the coupling gears off. You can prevent the cranks turning by jamming something suitable between the coupling gears.

You'll be much more sure of what you're riding when you've done it. TINSTAASQ

keith wainwright
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby keith wainwright » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Flushing oil will clean the engine but it will also collect more sediment in the slugs traps. Be warned?

pauldridge
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby pauldridge » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:43 am

Not to rain on your parade, but you MUST tear down that engine and clear the oil passages and sludge traps in the crankshaft before further running. Don't ignore the advice you have received from numerous other experienced owners. Ignore this and you are almost certain to end up as I did.. I forged ahead based on the P.O.'s assertion that he had rebuilt the engine 10 years ago, but supposedly only 1000 miles of operating. In less than 3 months, I wound up with a broken rod, and ultimately $17,000 US in expenses for engine rebuild expenses. (well beyond what I paid for the complete bike!)

The absolute CHEAPEST thing for you to do at this point (if you don't feel capable of doing this yourself), is to hire a professional to disassemble your engine, clean and enlarge the sludge traps and passages. Failure to do this is almost certain to result in disaster!

Many experts opine that 60% of all Square 4 engines have suffered a catastrophic failure due to oil starvation!
Phil Auldridge Austin, Texas - USA
Visit the North America Ariel forum: http://arielnorthamerica.org/phpBB3/
53 SQ 4 MK II, '72 Norton Commando, '78 BMW R100/7, '79 Honda CBX, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage

john.bebb
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby john.bebb » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Kevin - SERIOUSLY - you are risking major problems if you neglect to clean the sludge traps!!!
My personal view on the Amal is that the main jet as supplied by Drags is way undersize...
IMHO it should be at least a "220" Cheers, John

keith wainwright
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby keith wainwright » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:04 pm

Hi would forget the Amel carb. The suction from the running engine on the Amel slide will make the throttle very stiff to operate. Tried the Amel on one of my Square 4, and finally went back to the Solex with butterfly throttle control. Keith

pauldridge
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby pauldridge » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:30 am

I agree.. after riding my Norton Commando with the pair of Amals, then getting on the Ariel with the finger-light throttle.. all the difference in the world. The Ariel makes the Norton feel like a crude Flintstones machine!
Phil Auldridge Austin, Texas - USA
Visit the North America Ariel forum: http://arielnorthamerica.org/phpBB3/
53 SQ 4 MK II, '72 Norton Commando, '78 BMW R100/7, '79 Honda CBX, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage

Return to “Four stroke”