Plunger suspension ride height adjustment

Singles, twins and fours.
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Plunger suspension ride height adjustment

Postby paul.jameson » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:24 pm

There is certainly some variation in the springs Ariel fitted. The late Ralph Hawkins did some work on this which I do not have to hand but which may well have been published at some stage in Cheval. Its worth a search to see. Failing that, I think son Rob might well know as he carefully selected the appropriate springs for the KH he built - ex Ralph but noted as ridden by Chris Read.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:38 pm

It's a while since I had a "hands on" experience of the Anstey device ( I only have one bike with it fitted ),but the rebound spring length and strength will affect ride height as well as the major one, will it not? It would be worthwhile also to ensure both sides are set up the same seeing it's capable of some antics when it's not right. Nev

robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby robjameson » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:19 pm

We have Dave Owen to thank for the plunger springs in Chris Read’s KH. He supplied them to me at an LDR, I believe they cost me a bottle of chateauneuf du pape.

From what I recall, they were the heavier gauge springs, as the lighter gauge ones I took out of the bike were completely knackered, and had been bearing on the shrouds for some time. I may still have them.

My recommendation would be to use the strongest springs available.
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1956 Ariel KH (LARGE project!)

pauldridge
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby pauldridge » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:45 pm

Thanks for all the expertise on this subject. I've ordered the heavier gauge springs from Draganfly (apparently the only version they carry), and will report my results when they arrive.
Phil Auldridge Austin, Texas - USA
Visit the North America Ariel forum: http://arielnorthamerica.org/phpBB3/
53 SQ 4 MK II, '72 Norton Commando, '78 BMW R100/7, '79 Honda CBX, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:44 am

Winding springs isnt all that difficult................a crowd named Chessel Springs used to roll up railway springs on an old lathe by hand ,after hand forging the feathered ends.........nothing exotic,just a large torch heating the rod orange as it went onto a mandrel in the lathe....The end of the rod was guided by hand.........Ive always wondered how the Indians roll the double coned girder fork springs......you cant use an inside mandrel,so they must roll them by eye.

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:40 am

Below are pictures of the anstey on my VHA. The bike is sitting on the ground and has minimal static sag. My 4 and other anstey plungers all have the same ride height and are all fitted with the .296 wire springs.
My 4 was initially fitted with .312 sidecar springs and I found the ride to be on a par with a rigid frame bike. Not for me. While I am 62kg, much of my riding is 2 up so with my wife there is a total of 115kg. My bike has never bottomed on the roughest roads that I have been on, although I do have friction dampers fitted. The mudguard height on my bikes is such that I doubt that it would be possible for the tyre to hit the mudguard before hitting the suspension bump stops.
I have never found any standard springs that have sagged as much as yours and would think that the springs may not be original but may be substitutes, or shortened.
David
DSCN1916.JPG

DSCN1915.JPG

johann.patek

Postby johann.patek » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:29 pm

I dismantled the rear end today and my springs corresponded with the gauge of 0.312" but the length was only 154mm against the Drag listed length of 164mm. So I made up spacers of 12mm thickness. 10mm to get the correct length plus 2mm extra to improve stiffness and keep the tire off the guard. Need more outside temperature to test it.
Ariel 1930 model G special, Ariel SQ4 1957, Norton Commando 750, Norton Mercury, Norton 99, Norton N15CS, Velocette Venom, Velocette Thruxton, Velocette LE x2, Morgan F Super, Calthorpe Ivory 500, Yamaha sr500, Moto Guzzi Falcone

adrian.hannam
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby adrian.hannam » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:06 am

I have just replaced the springs on my KH with Draganfly ones. I measured the old ones wire size to be 0.300" and the new 0.311". The old ones were 18mm shorter. Result is approx 2" higher lift measured at the mudguard unladen with the tyre on the floor. I wasn't unhappy with the old ones until I fitted a sidecar. With a passenger, over bumps the brake lever would bind up on the mudguard stay. The new ones are very stiff.
Attachments
after.jpg
After
before.jpg
Before
springs.jpg
'48 KG outfit, '51 VH, '51 4G (in bits)
Editor "The Horse's Mouth" Australia

roger.fellows

Postby roger.fellows » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:22 am

Interesting, they're wound the opposite way. Is the pair to each wound the same way?

adrian.hannam
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby adrian.hannam » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:41 am

You are very observant Roger, I will check the old ones and report back later. I won't be checking the new ones tho. I remember assembling the old ones without a special tool, but I had to make one up for the new ones.
'48 KG outfit, '51 VH, '51 4G (in bits)
Editor "The Horse's Mouth" Australia

Return to “Four stroke”