Speedo cable clip Sq 4 Mk II

Singles, twins and fours.
pauldridge
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Speedo cable clip Sq 4 Mk II

Postby pauldridge » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:23 am

I just ordered a speedometer cable clip from Draganfly for my Mk II. Now trying to figure out where it should attach. I haven't been able to find a photo showing placement, most cables seem to just blow in the wind as mine does.

Perhaps bolt it underneath one of the front engine mount studs?
Phil Auldridge Austin, Texas - USA
Visit the North America Ariel forum: http://arielnorthamerica.org/phpBB3/
53 SQ 4 MK II, '72 Norton Commando, '78 BMW R100/7, '79 Honda CBX, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage

roger.fellows
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Speedo cable clip Sq 4 Mk II

Postby roger.fellows » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:57 pm

I've been trying to find one of those on the Drags site.

I think you are right about the engine mount studs. Maybe the alternative might be the exhaust mounting.

I recall a sort of scar where the metal-sleeved part rubbed against the crankcase to the right of the engine plates.

pauldridge
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby pauldridge » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:14 pm

here's the part number. 4842-32 speedo cable clamp and screw /081

Unless someone else has a better idea, I'll likely attach it to the upper engine mount stud. That will at least keep it from floppy around
53 SQ 4 MK II, '72 Norton Commando, '78 BMW R100/7, '79 Honda CBX, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage

roger.fellows

Postby roger.fellows » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:24 pm

I think that's an electrical item Phil, can't tell the size.

roger.fellows

Postby roger.fellows » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:33 pm

If you search speedo cable clip you'll find three 'no longer supplied' items.

pauldridge
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby pauldridge » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:35 pm

Ahh.. Looks like you're right Roger. I mis-read that description. Oh well, perhaps that clip will be useful for something!

bob cottam
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby bob cottam » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:01 pm

Yeah, Hmmm...… I also bought said clip and screw as a wiring loom clip for my SQ.4..... when I looked- there was no sign of anywhere on my (1958) frame to attach it to so it has resided in my Mystery Parts stock ever since.
Just lately, I have been studying the petrol tank fitment and noted that the supplied wiring loom is pretty much pinched by the front edge of the tank on the side of the headstock due to the close fit of the tank i.e. the narrow tunnel in the tank centre .
I note the above clip is shaped to contain a flattened out loom, unlike the "cylindrical" arrangement of the wires taped into the sheathing- which, if they were un-taped and flattened out would pass easily through the gap twixt headstock/tank,- maybe held in such an arrangement by that clip??

Is that what Ariel had in mind? Does anyone have a frame tapped to accept the screw/clip and if so where does it go....?

roger.fellows

Postby roger.fellows » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:28 pm

There is a thread about a similar clip fitted to W/NG headstocks

pauldridge
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby pauldridge » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:39 pm

For Bob,
Yes, I have discovered the same clearance issue: wiring harness to tank with the new harness I installed from D'fly. I believe I correctly routed my harness along the left (near side) of the frame.. Initially I had it tie-wrapped to the lower longitudinal frame member, but found that severely caused the tank to be offset to the right. Then I moved the harness upward toward the upper frame member, and that helped a bit. My harness has a black plastic/rubber flexible sheathing over the cloth covering.. can't remember if it came that way, or I added that myself, but, yes, it does tend to "round out" the harness bundle rather than flatten against the tank. Yesterday I was looking at the bike again and do note that there is a threaded hole on the headstock, about midway between the upper and lower bearings, one on each side. When the clip arrives (along with the recommended screw) I'll likely install it on the far side to give a little direction to the flapping speedo cable.

bob cottam
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby bob cottam » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi Paul, food for thought. I have looked closely at my headstock, but no sign of any tapped holes, maybe someone filled them in, or perhaps Ariel just deleted them on later frames as a cost cutting exercise …….My loom is exactly as yours, wires are arranged in "round" fashion in the cloth sheath, and the covered over at the headstock area by a loose rubber/ plastic sheath which itself is folded over and taped at the end right where it emerges from behind the tank thus adding to the diameter just where you don`t need it... I might move the sheathing out of the way, remove the cloth sheathing underneath to free up the wires, and allow them to flatten out a little....Bob C

Return to “Four stroke”