Hello New Forum member

Singles, twins and fours.
mtangney

Hello New Forum member

Postby mtangney » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:47 pm

Hello to all. I have recently acquired a 1957 MKII Square 4. It has been sitting in the back of a motorcycle shop since about 1963. It has 7600 miles on the clock and is very complete. I know that i have to clean the sludge traps, get new club rods, and probably get a Morgo pump. What other things should i be looking at to recommission the bike?

Mark

roger.fellows
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Hello New Forum member

Postby roger.fellows » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Welcome to the forum Mark. It sounds as though you might already have joined the club, but if not it's an obvious step.

Bennet Longman alternator, twin leading shoe front brake if available. I think the club may be producing more, not sure. Cam spray bar so that camshaft gets plenty and rocker supply can be moderated.

Can you give us an approximate location? We're fairly widely spread.

mtangney

Postby mtangney » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Hi. I am in California. I have joined the North America Ariel club. It seems that the UK club has more info and spares. I wish there was a combined membership to both clubs available.
Mark

roger.fellows

Postby roger.fellows » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 pm

I am sure there are members of that club who will advise you on the benefits of joining the AOMCC as well, or not. There's members only stuff on the website and a lot of knowledge and expertise on the forum.

fpassmore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby fpassmore » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:52 pm

Yeah, feel the same way Mark, belong to both clubs and they both have their benefits especially with contacts, but the AOMCC really shines with the spares and sheer amount of knowledge available.

Frank
'51 SQ4, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, too many other BSA's, Norton's, Triumph's, Ducati's and Japanese to list. Just crazed is all my problem is.

keith wainwright
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby keith wainwright » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Hi Mark if just an occasional ride and provided that you are not going to thrash it to much. Clean out the sludge traps fit an oil filter together with a magnetic drain plug. Morgo pump and camshaft spray, I would personally stick with your old rods. The Mk11 had heavier rods installed. Save a few dollars.

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby paul.jameson » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:50 pm

I would echo what has been said above but I wouldn't bother with the camshaft spray unless you are going to feed your rockers from the return side of the pump (which I wouldn't advise on a Mk II). I did something like 36,000 miles on a MK II engined bike (Healey 1000/4) without the spray bar or significant camshaft wear. You might think about the spray bar if you propose to do significantly more miles on your bike than I did on mine.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:58 am

Do you use old rods Paul?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'78 CX500
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:11 pm

Yes, Simes, I did use old rods. The new Club rods became available shortly before I sold the bike but it went with a set of new Club rods as spares to be fitted. The buyer swore he would use the bike but managed only 300 miles in 3 years. The new rods were not fitted in his ownership.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

mtangney

Postby mtangney » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:07 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I see that the Morgo pump and the club rods are on backorder so i have to wait anyway.

Mark

Return to “Four stroke”