Sq4 1938 frame wanted ansty + Forks as well

Singles, twins and fours.
allan burgess

Sq4 1938 frame wanted ansty + Forks as well

Postby allan burgess » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:50 pm

Needed for current project I have a complete engine gearbox transmission restored and running but its in the wrong frame I can repair retube even the most battered and bent frames I only draw the line at making all the lugs as well . also a set of girder forks is required Again I can retube them and can make any of the lugs I have a full jig to remake any Ariel girder forks In House .from the period.

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Sq4 1938 frame wanted ansty + Forks as well

Postby paul.jameson » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:06 pm

You will do well to find a 1938 Anstey link frame as they weren't introduced till the 1939 model year bikes.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Knud.Degnbol
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Knud.Degnbol » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:35 pm

Allan, have you found a way to make conical tubes?
Knud

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:49 pm

One of those giant pencil sharpeners ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmNQ0Z6u-qU

Respect !

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:26 am

Its quite simple to make the tapered tube.........just roll the tube between two cammed rollers.When the big furniture factory on Johnson Rd went broke ,I bought a whole lot of the tube rolling machines for scrap.....tapered metal tube furniture furniture was once very common...........actually the big factory went broke at least five times ,and burned down three times,the last time there was no insurance and the site is now a bigbox homeware centre ,under the same ownership..............to make fork tubes you would need one rolling machine ,and two sets of two rollers ...........hardly rocket science,and you could easily find enough stuff in my back yard to build one.The forming rollers need to be about 12"dia,and a determined person could easily grind the tapered grooves with an angle grinder............the job would be a piece of cake for a CNC machin ing centre.

allan burgess

Postby allan burgess » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:52 pm

I have not as yet needed to replace the taper tubes. I have so far made extended wheel lugs That compensates for The tubes when they corrode, Ive found its the bottom 1/2 inch that goes rusty. with a remade lug thats a little longer its easily over come . I have taken the time to source the wheeling machine's I found that they were available at a cost of £1000 plus the Taper on the tube is only 7 inches from the top down & the same from the bottom up, the club committee would not finance the wheeling machine so I dont replace taper tube Aircom supply me with the T45. 14's SWG tube as a kit four pieces 28 inches long this will make either the standard forks parallel tubes or the extended WNG fork tubes At first I tried salvaging the plugs pegged into the either side of the lugs. not worth the Hassle Ive done about eight sets of forks so far and a few repairs only I made a press tool for the Lug side fillers . I did for free in exactly the same way as the originals were made brazed drilled and pegged jigg built onto a 6x4 1/4 wall box section tube reamed lugs with hardened silver steel locating pins .---- If I make lugs they are high tensile steel profile cut by flame torch or machined out of 1inch thick EN8 plate . I did them for free. the recipient paid for the material . Not a good business plan. I used to make HS cams out of donated twin lobe cams. No one wanted to pay LET ME TRY ONE AND I WILL ASSESS IT. I stopped after six were made £ 20 each was too much to pay by club members .Those I made are still being used 25 years later. If anyone wants the fork build jigg get in touch Make me an offer .

berniejones
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby berniejones » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:32 pm

Not sure if the back end of the frame you need is similar to the later ones but I have the rear end of a '56 Mk2 surplus to requirements if it helps.
Geometry of tubes is not quite right but the Ansty plunger suspension units are in very good condition. Located in Norfolk UK.

Cheers,
Bernie
'56 SQ4
'52 BSA M21
'61 Dommie 99
'81 T140
'54 Sunbeam S8
AOMCC# 4631

Return to “Four stroke”