Lathe user?

Singles, twins and fours.
Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Lathe user?

Postby Bob.Murphy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:43 pm

Well, I haven't heard from 'BertieB' for a while - I think he's on holiday - or else he's gone to ground !

Progress (YEAH !) the shaft is ready, but as I have no idea what his real name is, or where he lives I can't post it to him. Hopefully he'll be answering my PMs soon.

'Bertie' sent me the spindle from the wheel he's using . . . It is quite different to the Tiger Cub spindles I've got so maybe its from a Sports Cub, A Bantam Cub or something. This has given me a bit of a problem as I have had to make some assumptions about clearances when producing spacers. The shaft should be OK however.

I drew-up a plan and then turned up the spindle to suit:

DSCN8945.jpg

For comparison, my spindle on top, then the one I was sent and a 1958 T20 Cub spindle at the bottom:

DSCN8947.jpg

'Bertie' wants to use a 1950/60s rear wheel speedometer drive - which has to be clamped between the inner track of the wheel bearing and the frame. I turned-up some spacers based on the T20 hub dimensions. They may need adjusting. I also made one for the outside of the brake drum - again I don't know the clearance so made it a bit longer than necessary, possibly.

DSCN8949.jpg

It all fits together like this:

DSCN8952.jpg

The steel I used was as follows:

Spindle = EN16
Nuts = EN1A
Spacers = 304 stainless.

Its been a bit of a labour of love but good practice. Hopefully it will serve its purpose.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:57 am

Pictures from "BertieB" . . . The spindle fits 8-) .

Something doesn't look quite right though and the spacers need 'adjusting' to bring everything into line. The speedometer drive hasn't been fitted either.

Hopefully the offside frame rail will spread out to allow everything to be accommodated (it appears to have been pulled in by the nut).

When turning the parts I was wishing I had the rear frame fork and the wheel to hand, it would have made life a lot simpler.

Anyway, job (almost) done and its up to Bertie to fettle it into shape now.

Over and out.

Bob.

New spindle fitted - NS - 20190811.JPG
New spindle fitted - NS - 20190811.JPG (74.98 KiB) Viewed 667 times

New spindle fitted - NS2 - 20190811.JPG
New spindle fitted - NS2 - 20190811.JPG (65.59 KiB) Viewed 667 times

New spindle fitted - rear view - 20190811.JPG
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

BertieB

Postby BertieB » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:38 pm

I'm very happy with the result, the offside does need the speedo drive fitting, also the bearing isn't fully seated as reminder to me to replace it as it's shot (triumph part! not as good as Ariel parts!). Do I relace the wheel to the correct rim, or respect the part isn't correct and use the big fat tyre of a tiger cub on a 20's bike...? I think the big tyre look cool, although describing a tiger cub tyre as big it a bit of a joke compared to modern tyres!

Big thanks to Bob

Return to “Four stroke”