FITTING SQUARE FOUR ENGINE INTO FRAME

Singles, twins and fours.
ralph thetford
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

FITTING SQUARE FOUR ENGINE INTO FRAME

Postby ralph thetford » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:34 pm

What is the best approach to fitting the heavy engine into the frame without scratching the new paint. As a fully assembled engine is very heavy I have built it up as far as just block and crankcase with a view to assembling the rest (ie head, primary case, mag, etc.)when I get it fitted into frame.

Regards Ralph

pauldridge
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: FITTING SQUARE FOUR ENGINE INTO FRAME

Postby pauldridge » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:05 am

Ralph,
I just finished a complete engine overhaul for my '53 MK II. Given the difficulty of getting the head in place "in situ", I decided to completely assemble my engine on the bench (sans distributor and carburetor) and install the complete engine in the frame. Yes, it is a bit heavy, but with an automotive engine lift (don't have one? rent for a day for a small fee).

I couldn't believe how easy it was. I had concerns about clearance-to-frame issues, but there were none. The secret? make up a pair of lifting plates to fit over the exhaust manifold studs, then make sure to remove the two forward engine-to-frame mount plates.

Note in the photo I provided for 2 separate lift holes to accommodate correct center of gravity. I suspected the engine with dynamo would be ass heavy, and was right. The aft mount hole was just right to horizontally balance the engine. I used threaded, detachable chain links to connect the lift plates to the engine hoist mount straps.

Full details, including photos, on my own blog:
http://blog.auldridge.org/ariel-square-4-engine-install-the-easy-way/
Phil Auldridge Austin, Texas - USA
Visit the North America Ariel forum: http://arielnorthamerica.org/phpBB3/
53 SQ 4 MK II, '72 Norton Commando, '78 BMW R100/7, '79 Honda CBX, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage

john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby john.whiting » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:02 am

Too true ....the days of struggling with no equipment are long. gone.........for a few dollars ,you can get engine cranes ,elevating platforms ,and every kind of tool imaginable.Most bike restorers now have more stuff than a commercial motorbike mechanic had in the sixties, someone who worked every day on british bikes for a living..

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:01 pm

My preference is to do as you have done Ralph, and assemble the bottom end before installing it in the frame and subsequently fitting the block and head. Don't worry about scratching the new paint too much. If you have built the engine to authentic standards, the oil leakage will prevent too much corrosion.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Return to “Four stroke”