I just finished a complete engine overhaul for my '53 MK II. Given the difficulty of getting the head in place "in situ", I decided to completely assemble my engine on the bench (sans distributor and carburetor) and install the complete engine in the frame. Yes, it is a bit heavy, but with an automotive engine lift (don't have one? rent for a day for a small fee).
I couldn't believe how easy it was. I had concerns about clearance-to-frame issues, but there were none. The secret? make up a pair of lifting plates to fit over the exhaust manifold studs, then make sure to remove the two forward engine-to-frame mount plates.
Note in the photo I provided for 2 separate lift holes to accommodate correct center of gravity. I suspected the engine with dynamo would be ass heavy, and was right. The aft mount hole was just right to horizontally balance the engine. I used threaded, detachable chain links to connect the lift plates to the engine hoist mount straps.
Full details, including photos, on my own blog:http://blog.auldridge.org/ariel-square-4-engine-install-the-easy-way/
Phil Auldridge Austin, Texas - USA
Visit the North America Ariel forum: http://arielnorthamerica.org/phpBB3/
53 SQ 4 MK II, '72 Norton Commando, '78 BMW R100/7, '79 Honda CBX, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage