So it begins

Singles, twins and fours.
T.J.Falloon

So it begins

Postby T.J.Falloon » Mon May 20, 2019 8:18 am

Hello all,

Received my new bike (new to me) Thursday last week but due to work interfering with getting into the workshop haven't managed to do anything until today. So my maintenance schedule has officially started.
As a matter of course I started her up and gave her a short run. Sounded awesome, no smoke or unusual noises. Good start.
Only down side was the fuel tap leaked like a sieve and so did the carb.
Removed the carb and dismantled it. Turns out the needle valve was stuck open.
Put all the bits in my sonic cleaner. A few cycles later everything was nice a clean. Have put carb back together temporarily until I can get an overhaul kit for it.
Here are a few photos.
Attachments
IMG_20190520_164059.jpg
IMG_20190520_135129.jpg
IMG_20190516_080102.jpg
IMG_20190516_080122.jpg
IMG_20190516_080240.jpg

Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: So it begins

Postby Bob.Murphy » Mon May 20, 2019 10:11 am

That's a very nice looking bike.

BUT..... (you know what's coming next ;) ).

Unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure that its been done . . . Strip the motor down and clean out the crankshaft sludge traps. I used to strip my motor annually for this purpose - and I always changed the oil at 1,000 mile intervals.

There are lots of threads (and horror stories) on this forum around this issue so it isn't a myth.

Better safe than sorry 8-) .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

T.J.Falloon

Postby T.J.Falloon » Mon May 20, 2019 10:46 am

Hey Bob,

Yes , I do indeed know what is coming next. I will, as a matter of course, be pulling the motor down and checking the infamous sludge traps in the crank shafts. Wish I didn't have to but better to be safe than sorry. While I have the engine apart what are the opinions out there on stripping the rocker shafts , removing the plugs on the shaft ends and cleaning the oil passage ways out, necessary or not? I think it was on here where I read a post a little while ago where someone did this and found the passage ways clogged. Any info out there on this?

On another note, where is a good place to source either a new fuel tap or parts for my old one from, Drags do not have any new ones available ( back order ). Fuel tap is a double push / pull type ......on / reserve. The fuel tank has only one fuel tap.
Also where is the best place to get a rebuild kit from for my Solex carb.

Thanks in advance.

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon May 20, 2019 11:40 am

Couple of quick notes:
  • Mk1 rocker shafts are hollow and easy to clean - as are the passages in the head. Don't forget to use copper washers - fibre ones burn and leak very quickly.
  • Rebuild your petrol tap - there are a couple of articles on my blog. Most of the reproduction ones I've seen are awful.
  • David Jones (david.dlj8009@mypostoffice.co.uk......) is the man for Solex parts. Looks like you have an air filter?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

T.J.Falloon

Postby T.J.Falloon » Mon May 20, 2019 12:04 pm

Hey Simon,

Thanks for your reply.

Haven't started to dismantle the engine yet, that's tomorrow's job . Well to start dismantling it . As a newbie to these bikes am unaware of subtle differences between models. So take on board your info about the rocker shafts. Will check them out when I get that far.
Thanks for your links for the Solex parts, will make contact and order new bits.

T.J.Falloon

Postby T.J.Falloon » Mon May 20, 2019 11:03 pm

Hello again all,

Just a quick note to let everyone know that David Jones is no longer supplying Solex parts for our carbies. I e-mailed him last night to inquire about some parts for my carb. He kindly replied but stated that he he had retired from engineering and he had no stock left.

For your information.

" Good afternoon,
Thank you for your e-mail I have taken retirement from Engineering and do not have any spares for Solex. All my stock parts are now exhausted.
Kind regards David."
Last edited by T.J.Falloon on Mon May 20, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon May 20, 2019 11:04 pm

That's not so good. What do you need?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

T.J.Falloon

Postby T.J.Falloon » Mon May 20, 2019 11:10 pm

Hey Simon,

I was really only needing a new needle valve as mine had seized( I have freed it off but would not trust it ) and gaskets etc for the rebuild. I have found another place that supplies Solex parts. They are called Classic Carbs here in Australia. Will check them out and see how I go.

adrian.hannam

Postby adrian.hannam » Tue May 21, 2019 5:22 am

How do you like this tap, you might even be able to drive over and pick one up. This guy is in Brisbane, but I have not bought anything from him yet.

https://bmhstore.bmh.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=136_137&products_id=2462
'48 KG outfit, '51 VH, '51 4G (in bits)
Editor "The Horse's Mouth" Australia

T.J.Falloon

Re: So the Resurrection begins

Postby T.J.Falloon » Tue May 21, 2019 7:08 am

Did a little more in the workshop today. Managed to get the head off, after a great deal of mucking around after removing the oil cooler that a previous owner bodged up when fitted. Very annoying.
Bore looks to be ok, measures 65mm ( on digital caliper only, I don't have any internal micrometers). There is a number , either 66 or 99 on each of the pistons. Hoping this means it's still standard.

Upon removing the oil filter and draining the oil, I found quite a build up of sludge, justifying the engine being pulled down I feel.

I have removed the clutch cover but have to purchase an appropriately sized socket to fit the nut.

I also removed the timing cover and as a matter of interest checked to see what timing marks there were. Unfortunately I left my copy of Waller at work so will have to wait until tomorrow to read up about this, and then check to see how this relates to my engine, then dismantle that side.

Attached are some more photos.
Attachments
IMG_20190521_151839.jpg
This and the next couple of photos show the timing when rotor is pointing at 1 and 3 when at TDC, in relation to timing marks.
IMG_20190521_153932.jpg
Noticed this. There was nothing in this threaded hole. Can you guys help me out?
IMG_20190521_123712.jpg
IMG_20190521_123531.jpg
IMG_20190521_123609.jpg

Return to “Four stroke”