So it begins

Singles, twins and fours.
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: So it begins

Postby john.whiting » Wed May 29, 2019 12:47 pm

heres another thought.....if the mains are to slowly rotate in the case,as many seem to do,is there any point in lineboring?........in my experience ,these type of plainbearings close up by approximately 3/4 of the interference fit,and this is easily allowed for in machining them......So ,unless you peg the bearings,is lineboring a waste of time?

T.J.Falloon

Postby T.J.Falloon » Wed May 29, 2019 5:12 pm

Hey John,
I have no idea, all that kind of stuff is over my head. I was just going to get the new bits and take it all to my machine shop and get them to sort it.

Speaking of new bits, I have been looking at con rods for my bike. Drags are out of stock for the new ones and only have exchange recon ones.
What are the opinions as to whether staying with original ( replacing the welded up ones with good original ) or biting the bullet and getting some recon ones?

Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Bob.Murphy » Wed May 29, 2019 5:18 pm

I thought the Ariel Club had them made :? .

Someone was advertising a new set of club rods recently (Roland Robinson perhaps). I would go for new if possible.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

roland robinson

Postby roland robinson » Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 pm

Not me Bob, I need the three sets that I have. Note that they are called "club spares" so why go to Draganfly?

Roland.

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Wed May 29, 2019 11:33 pm

Bob.Murphy wrote:I thought the Ariel Club had them made :? .

According to a few other refs around this forum, available through the AOMCC Square Four spares man. (Unfortunately, you'll need to join the AOMCC first, TJ - if you've not gone down that route already.)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

T.J.Falloon

Postby T.J.Falloon » Thu May 30, 2019 3:28 pm

Hey Simon, I have just joined AOMCC, still waiting for registration and password. Do you happen to know who the spares person is to contact for the con rods?
For some reason I was under the impression that the AOMCC supplied the rods to Drags and that was where we had to purchase them, wasn't aware that I could get them direct from the club.

roger.fellows

Postby roger.fellows » Thu May 30, 2019 7:05 pm

You need Bruce Longman - you might find him via his son Bennet, who is on facebook Ariel groups.

roger.fellows

Postby roger.fellows » Thu May 30, 2019 7:20 pm

You have a private message T J

T.J.Falloon

Re: So the Resurrection begins

Postby T.J.Falloon » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:29 am

Sorry for the delay in any updates lately but not a lot has been happening at the moment apart from a lot of hurry up and wait. I have just been cleaning parts up while I wait for a report from my machine shop where I took the cranks, barrel , pistons etc.

Heard back from my machine shop this morning in relation to how everything is looking with respect to my bottom end and barrel.
The crank is good and all I will need is a set of new -20 shells. The bore is really good apparently and will only require a hone and a set of +40 rings.

Unfortunately that's where the good news ends.

As can be seen in a previous photo there has been a minor disaster in the crankcase at some stage in it's life.
When it came to the plain bearings the news MAY not be as good.
The plain bearings have about 0.010 thou wear, in its-self not the end of the world as new ones are avail from Drags.However one of the plain bearings has been pegged and then covered in an araldite glue like substance. The machinist says he will have to remove the plain bearings and see what lurks behind and see how the machined area is where the bearings are pressed into. If badly damaged or not serviceable then I will be in a lot of trouble.
Fingers and everything else is crossed that all is well. Will find out next week sometime.

Worse case scenario is that I will need to try to find a set of second hand cases from somewhere. :o :(

Will keep you updated.

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:55 am

Simply rebore the bearing bore a bit oversize ,and make a bushing to suit....even if damage is severe ,a bronze sleeve will cure it............note I use bronze as it has a similar expansion rate to ally,and is more likely to stay put.......if these guys can line bore ,then reboring the case is no problem....Its no problem anyway,with a case half that sits flat on a machine table,which is a catch,as the bore may not be in line,and if you dont actually see the job done,you dont know .There is a bit involved in picking up some remnant of an original bore to set up .....and things get complicated if the boring has been done wrong before......If you have access to the original drawings,then its not difficult to restore the case to correct dimensions with a DRO on the machine.

Return to “Four stroke”