Side stand for NH

Singles, twins and fours.
CylvaBirch

Side stand for NH

Postby CylvaBirch » Tue May 21, 2019 6:43 pm

I am very concerned about using the side stand on my 1955 NH. It is in good condition but I can foresee the bike rolling off it very easily indeed as it flicks back up with no need for a positive action to be taken.
The spring seems to me to originate in the wrong position behind rather than in front of the pivot. This means that in the deployed position it is inherently unstable.
Is there a recognised modification?

Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Side stand for NH

Postby Mick D » Tue May 21, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi

The theory is that you can't accidently leave it down and have it throw you off the first time you tackle a left hander.

Regards Mick

chris.shearwood
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby chris.shearwood » Tue May 21, 2019 7:46 pm

I don't trust the sidestands on any of my Ariels. The rear stands are almost always the ones I use.
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Tue May 21, 2019 11:28 pm

As far as I'm aware swing-arm Ariels don't have a reputation for rolling off the sidestand. (Mine never has in over a decade of use, and I almost always use the sidestand.)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Wed May 22, 2019 11:11 am

My '53 Square Four had that silly little stump of a sidestand that was very close to the centre line of the bike, this gave it tremendous leverage. On a warm day it could punch a hole in the tarmac (I was lucky, I saw it move and ran and caught it before it toppled).

The sidestand on my '58 VH is fine and I use it all the time. Be careful with it though - it can spring up and crack the Primary Chaincase. I see that mine has some sort of repair filler in the hole its made :shock: .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

Steven.Carter
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby Steven.Carter » Thu May 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Stood by the side using the side stand works great but it's when you cant get off because of all your camping gear on the pillion seat that the trouble begins.
I've short legs so pushing out the side stand with the bike at an angle to keep the stand deployed is tricky, especially if the ground is sloping away. I've had two embarrassing ignominious falls.
My solution is to move forward the metal peg that holds the side stand spring on to the frame. I have ridden off with it out but has never caused me a big problem.

CylvaBirch

Postby CylvaBirch » Sat May 25, 2019 7:13 am

Thanks everyone.
I can understand the geometry of Steven’s modification to the spring anchor point. Looking at my frame though I was hoping not to have to have any welding done. Has anyone made a fitting to clamp onto the frame ahead of the pivot lug?

Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Mick D » Sat May 25, 2019 7:37 am

Hi

You could extend the spring to allow it to be attached to a fabricated tab attached to one of the engine lower tie studs.

Regards Mick

Return to “Four stroke”