Shock absorber knocking

Singles, twins and fours.
camstevens
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Shock absorber knocking

Postby camstevens » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi All
"Get it off the stand and on the road".......best advice ever! I guess this my first "older" engine overhaul and I'm just starting to appreciate the differences in running in.

Had the Mk1 out twice now and it has made a massive difference; oil puffing reduces each time and it helps get to the bottom of other foibles. The residual clunking narrowed down to a weak shock absorber spring, and also discovered the old plugs were on their way out, with one totally packing up. Looking like becoming success story now! Fuel not quite right, but will be easier to sort as it beds in.

Much appreciated
Cam

Gui.dorey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Gui.dorey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Hi Cam,

Got mine back up running again today. On the first start in the garage I also was getting >100 psi oil pressure cold. After a while it had dropped down to below 50psi. After the first run of just about 7km the pressure was settling down to 30.

Like everyone says, they probably just need to run a bit to settle in. Glad to hear yours is also getting better. Good show!

Cheers,
Gui

camstevens
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby camstevens » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Congrats! Yes, we seem to be getting similar results. 100 PSI (and above) was a bit alarming, and even using a lighter relief spring didn't reduce cold pressures. Hopefully no harm being done.
I notice the engine becomes quite harsh a higher revs when changing gear, but I suspect this is likely down to fuel...maybe a little lean....mixture jet set at the starting point of 1 1/2 turns (Solex AHD)

Cam

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:21 am

Gui.dorey wrote:Hi Cam,

Got mine back up running again today. On the first start in the garage I also was getting >100 psi oil pressure cold. After a while it had dropped down to below 50psi. After the first run of just about 7km the pressure was settling down to 30.

Like everyone says, they probably just need to run a bit to settle in. Glad to hear yours is also getting better. Good show!

Cheers,
Gui

30 psi when idling hot?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

camstevens
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby camstevens » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:16 pm

HI Simes
I am seeing similar pressures......above 100 psi cold and setting to a hot idle of 25-30 psi. Maybe it's newly ground journals and bearings that is making the difference. Either that or coincidentally dodgy gauges. I thought the gallery between the two plain main bearings may have been blocked, so I checked by removing the relief unit and kicking over.....this resulted in 0 psi, so suggested no blockage. Can't think of much else?

Gui.dorey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Gui.dorey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:18 pm

simon.holyfield wrote:
30 psi when idling hot?

Yes, idling hot. But I‘m still fiddling with the idle set up and my idle is probably still a bit high. Will have to do a few more runs until I can say for sure where I‘m at. It was just a first run and not very long.

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Sounds good to me. I get 60-70 at all times until its hot, then 25-30 at idle. I get 55-65 above idle, hot.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

Return to “Four stroke”