MORGO PUMPS

Singles, twins and fours.
ralph thetford
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

MORGO PUMPS

Postby ralph thetford » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:58 pm

What is the latest thinking on fitting a Morgo oil pump to a 1938 Ariel square four---Morgo mention internal or external pressure adjustment, which one should be used---Does the Morgo pump make a real difference to the lube system---is it worth the outlay of around £200.

Regards Ralph Thetford

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: MORGO PUMPS

Postby nevhunter » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:18 am

I think it depends on how you use your bike. Freeway speeds etc. I can remember how those bikes were ridden. 30 MPH was the speed limit in built up areas and 50 mph was really fast. Many people ride their bikes much faster than in those days, so the brakes and suspension are not up to todays expectations either, but where does one stop? The plunger type pump is not as reliable as a trochoid or gear type and PLAIN bearing engines are more demanding of a steady oil pressure than a roller equipped motor which doesn't need oil pressure at ALL .The oil gauge on them (where fitted) just indicates the pump is working. Nev

chris.shearwood
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby chris.shearwood » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:07 am

£200 is a mere drop in the bucket of expenses needed to put a Sq4 together. I think the peace of mind from improved oiling is worth it.
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:32 am

Inclined to agree. A larger oil flow rate won't hurt in a Sq4. You don't need oil pressure over 45 Psi if the system has the oil holes in the right place. A good filter would be useful too. Nev

ralph thetford
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby ralph thetford » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:58 pm

Hi Nev, The Morgo website gives options for 11 hole gasket or 12 hole gasket for either external or internal pressure adjustment.,have you any idea what is about and which one is the best option ???.

Regards Ralph

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:08 pm

I am probably an oddity here but I prefer to use a good Ariel plunger pump if I can. The one in the Red Hunter is a 1938 original which has so far given me good service for upwards of 30 years with no problems. The one in the Square dates, I think, from about 1951 but gives a constant pressure as did the one on my earlier iron Square, again without problems.

I would never run a Mk II engine on anything other than a Morgo pump though, as the Ariel original is so temperamental.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Return to “Four stroke”