Removing the ringds from a VB piston

Singles, twins and fours.
murray.mckenzie

Re: Removing the ringds from a VB piston

Postby murray.mckenzie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:37 am

A very late reply as I haven't been on the forum for a wee while and you probably have it sorted by now but this may be of help to someone in the future. I have played around with old stationary engines as well over time and saw this idea somewhere and having tried it with very stuck rings it does work. You do need to have a lathe or access to one.
Mount the piston in the chuck, skirt end to the chuck - not too tight with the chuck key. Find a piece of timber and sandwich it between the top of the piston and the tailstock. Track down an old skate board wheel and make a bush to mount it and hold it in the cross slide where the tool would normally go so the wheel is running in the same plane as the piston. Drop the lathe into the back gears so it runs slow. Soak the piston in CRC or kero and start it rotating. Maybe a good idea to cover the bedway. Gently ease the skateboard wheel against the rings - no need to wind it in tight but check the pressure as you go. Let it run and you will find with the wheel running against the rings and gently massaging them the CRC will work its way into the rings which will begin to loosen at the ends which will slowly work back around them. This can take a while but be patient. Once you see a bit of movement keep a close eye on them as they can come away quite quickly after that. I have found on more than one occasion they come out undamaged.

Mike Nash
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Mike Nash » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:26 pm

Thanks for that Murray.
I've tried soaking for weeks in acetone, hours in a sonic bath and heat cycling as suggested above but have had no luck and now I'm trying to cut them out with a small disc. But as Nev says one slip and I've a wrecked piston! Its nerve wracking and can only be done for a few minutes at a time. (And time's been spent on the village show, grandchildren on holiday - you know how it goes.) I'll give your idea a go and report back.
MikeN.

john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby john.whiting » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:50 am

I must try the lathe method.......Ive got a perfect specimen ,a Wisconsin piston with rings rusted in ,and the skirt broken.........any Wisconsin stuff is very hard to find ,and expensive,so saving the rings will be a big plus.....It makes sense ,because any ring will be slightly proud of the top of a piston,because the top has a reduced diameter............now I just need to steal a skateboard.

Dave.Holloway

Postby Dave.Holloway » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:18 pm

I had success heating up a piston with stuck rings . Heat it up good and proper then chuck in a bucket of cold water.

Return to “Four stroke”