FH Shock Absorber Query

Singles, twins and fours.
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

FH Shock Absorber Query

Postby Mick D » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:06 am

Hi

I'm trying to sort out the primary drive on my 58 FH - my plan was to check the sprocket / chain wheel alignment before fitting the inner cover and rather than struggle against the shock absorber spring not fit it for now.
I have the oil seal spacer in place followed by the adaptor sleeve, sprocket, sliding member and nut. With the nut snugged down the sprocket will not cam over the sliding member, is this correct? (I feel it should be free to rotate).
I have a non standard 25T sprocket so am wondering if this could be the cause.

Regards Mick

pete.collings

Re: FH Shock Absorber Query

Postby pete.collings » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:25 am

If it is free to rotate, you will eventually end up with little drive and a lot of noise! It should not be able to ride over the top of the sprocket cam, although different spring lengths (including a worn/old spring) might allow this to occur.
I used to tighten the nut until it bore hard against the sleeve, and then make a small spacer to slide over the thread, and file two indents to allow the split pin to locate tightly against the spacer, thus preventing the nut from undoing.

As an additional comment, the 1954-55 Huntmasters had a sleeve with a thinner ridge at the back, and needed an oilseal sleeve that was thinner than the later (and A!0) models. As these could be hard to find, one was made out of stainless with the outer rim polished. Without these, the primary chain would be misaligned with the clutch sprocket, and give rise to wear on both chain and sprockets.

Mick D

Re: FH Shock Absorber Query

Postby Mick D » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:31 am

Thanks Pete

I think I'll 'borrow' your idea for a locking ring, makes a lot of sense, cheers.

I think I'm going to replace the 25T sprocket with the standard 24T one as it seems to be restricting the range of movement of the shock absorber to 50%. Unfortunately Draganfly, John Budgen and Colin Reed-Aspley all have nil stock at present, can anyone give me any pointers as to where else to try?

Regards Mick

Return to “Four stroke”