Singles, twins and fours.
Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: clutch and mainshaft

Postby Mick D » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:32 pm

chris.shearwood wrote:Both of those torque values seem low to me

Hi Chris

They are commensurate with similar fastenings on my T160 minus a little for material development.

Regards Mick

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:37 pm

HI AII i have two Inpack guns one go to 250 lbs and one go to 650 lbs i used the small one to undo the nuts except gearbox sprocket it was lose i dont no if a good idea to tighten them up with it because they are nuts

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:47 pm

i was meant to say they are half nuts

Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Bob.Murphy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:03 pm

I did my crankshaft nuts up with a quick blast from my Milwaukee cordless Rattle-Gun (its a serious tool).

New lock washers and so on of course.

Time will tell 8-) .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Mick D » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi

I'm assuming your impact driver ratings are in pounds force inches, (divide by 12 to get pounds force feet). Personally I wouldn't use an impact driver to torque fasteners, but if you do I'd advise only letting it 'rattle' three or four times on each fastener.

Regards Mick

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:16 pm

I just gave it a quick 'Brrrrrrrpt' - nothing sustained. The Milwaukee has removed rusty bolts from my Toyota Landcruiser that I couldn't shift with heat and a 24" Power Bar (on my back, bracing my feet against the chassis). I treat it (and the nuts) with respect (six-point impact socket of course).

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:59 pm

they are Milwakee 1/2" drive the big one done the hub nut on a car up so tight it done the new wheel bearing in i let it rattle three times i think the big one would strip the half nuts i got to make a long socket for the gearbox sprocket i think its 1 1/4" b s w or 1 11/16" AF

chris.shearwood
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby chris.shearwood » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:13 pm

Mick D wrote:I'm assuming your impact driver ratings are in pounds force inches,

I think Johnny is talking about impact wrenches not impact drivers. I bought a cheap one recently that is rated at 350 ftlbs not inlbs.
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:23 pm

HI i am talking about 12volt impact guns -rattle gun is rated FT LBS

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:53 am

I wouldn't put an impact gun anywhere near either of those applications as you don't have anything substantial to oppose the shock forces and may easily chip a keyway or something .All those splines, mainshafts etc are hardened. IF the sprocket is not a tight fit on the spline it's likely to move anyhow and the thin walled spacer you are pulling it up on doesn't provide much area . Some gearbox sprockets (modern stuff Honda's etc) are only held on by a circlip which inevitably results in wear over time of the spline and the sprocket. The Tab washers are very necessary in these places. The six small HARDENED bolts holding the clutch basket to the BIG sprocket are one of the most critical of all the fasteners on the bike IF they have run loose for any time they ovalise both the treaded bits of the big sprocket and the clutch basket holes, requiring repair of the basket and a new sprocket. The 6 bolts need to be made of Bl**dy good stuff and tightened well. Nev

Return to “Four stroke”