clutch and mainshaft

Singles, twins and fours.
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: clutch and mainshaft

Postby john.whiting » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:49 am

Bit bigger than a Transit.....8 wheel MAN........all the bolts were replaced at inspection(along with $25k other requirements for 10 year inspection).......done up with a hydraulic spanner to exact specs.......couple of weeks later ,a lot were missing....on removal and crack testing,more had cracks in the threads.Chinese HT bolts...Trucks under a bit of a cloud ,a couple of years ago ,it was "borrowed" by a photographer ,and it tipped over ,with two fatalities,if memory serves.

Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Bob.Murphy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:00 pm

john.whiting wrote: Trucks under a bit of a cloud ,a couple of years ago ,it was "borrowed" by a photographer ,and it tipped over ,with two fatalities,if memory serves.

Ooooh Nasty !

Mine has a 200 Kilo limit in the bucket and various interlocks to prevent the boom extension going beyond 1 metre when the boom is raised less than 45 degrees (around a 7-metre swing). It only has one pair of outriggers and I always put two heavy timber slabs under them to prevent it settling. It also has to be near horizontal - max 10 degrees tilt fore and aft and 5 degrees side to side.

It only extends to 13.2 metres (41.5 ft) which is always short of what I need (but that feels high enough when your up there :lol: ).

Not a toy :!:

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:41 pm

Thank you NEV i will do them by hand and get new nuts and bolts and lock tabs from the club if i can the page has gone off of what i was talking about now thanks for getting back to me

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:42 pm

I am still using original Ariel / (Burman?) bolts and have never had one shear over the past 45 years plus. I drill the heads to lock wire them and don't find the drilling anything of a problem. In fact, in the early years, I have drilled the heads using a hand drill, so they can't be too hard. Even with the lock wire, it is not uncommon for the bolts to work loose but, as I say, I have yet to shear one.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

alan.moore

Postby alan.moore » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:12 pm

paul.jameson wrote:I am still using original Ariel / (Burman?) bolts and have never had one shear over the past 45 years plus. I drill the heads to lock wire them and don't find the drilling anything of a problem. In fact, in the early years, I have drilled the heads using a hand drill, so they can't be too hard. Even with the lock wire, it is not uncommon for the bolts to work loose but, as I say, I have yet to shear one.

Any reason why you don't use the three double hole tab washers ?

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:29 am

Funny,I fancied there were six dowells as well as bolts........confused with a Harley wheel,I think.........or maybe one of mine does have dowells too.....cant remember.

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:50 pm

JOHN you are right there are six Dowels they hold the clutch sprocket on to hub the six bolts hold the clutch basket to hub and sprocket

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:20 pm

When I was having problems with the bolts coming loose in the 1970s, the double hole tab washers were not to be found and may well have not existed back then. Having found that drilling the bolt heads was 100% reliable, I have stuck with it.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:06 am

I can also say that I first drilled all my clutch basket bolt heads about 40 years ago and wired them and have never had a problem. I have done that with all my subsequent bikes. But my question is did Ariel ever use the 2 hole tab washer or is that a modern replacement. All that I have seen are the 6 hole tab washers as shown in the earlier illustration posted by Alan. Here is a photo of an original 6 hole tab washer that has seen better days.
David
DSCN2083.JPG

pete.collings
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby pete.collings » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:33 am

I used to "recycle" the six hole washers by cutting them into three pieces, so there were other edges to knock over to secure the bolt head. This of course depended on the area around the hole not being too damaged. However, drilling and wiring the bolt heads is a better course of action.

Another use for the six hole washers is to space out the clutch drum if it is rubbing against the primary chaincase due to slight misalignment. However, only use one washer, if it needs more than this then something else needs checking eg. wrong length gearbox mainshaft.

Return to “Four stroke”