Brake and clutch levers on kh

Singles, twins and fours.
Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Brake and clutch levers on kh

Postby Paul Slootheer » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:47 pm

Also, a thought for the future, rebuilding my KH engine I found that the 2 small internal screws within the crankcase, they help hold the cases together, did not seem to have any positive locking feature, if they become loose they would cause some serioue damage. I therefore drilled and wire locked them in place, see attached.

John, I wonder in the event the internal screwes work loose, will they not kept in place due to the flange of the cilinder? Or is there enough space so they will drop in the cases? Also concerning the the ''bush toppic'': what sort of bush did you made use of?
Regards, Paul

Leejm
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby Leejm » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:22 pm

Thanks John I will keep all of that in mind. I do like the idea of the clear handlebars. But that depends on if I can get the correct carb.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.

jj.palmer
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:38 pm

Paul, I except your point that the 2 screws may not fall out but I was not willing to take that risk just for the drilling of some small holes and a piece of wire, if I remember correctly the screws were of a Whitworth form ie a course pitch, therefore often difficult to lock by torqing.

I also fitted a locking device to the breather nut also a Whitworth thread form and locking down onto a fibre washer, it had few threads of engagement at one point due to the internal shape of the crank case casting, see attached.

Some years ago after riding I found both swinging arm spindle nuts missing, this may have made me a little obsessive about locking fasteners where possible.

Your comment about a bush, could you please clarify.

Regards,
John P.
Attachments
S6005135.JPG
S6005114.JPG

Paul Slootheer

Postby Paul Slootheer » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:41 pm

Hello John, on the forum (Ariel Talk) there's some discussion about what one should use: a plain bronze bearing bush for the crankshaft, or a bearing with white metal surface (babbitt). Opinions are divided... I wonder what you did use?

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:50 pm

The latest magazine has some comment on this. It's applicable to squares and twins. My view (I know I wasn't asked) but have done a few babbit bearings over time, is stick to the original babbit, keep the layer THIN. THAT makes them last longer (less fatigue of the soft metal) That requires an appropriate bush be made but it usually doesn't have the right interference in the case after a while, anyhow. Use good quality babbit metal and run a close clearance so the bearing doesn't hammer which reduces it's life and make sure it's tinned properly to the base metal..Nev.

jj.palmer
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:05 am

Firstly, I stand to be corrected, see my previous post, after having second thoughts I believe that the breather nut had a Cycle thread and not Whitworth.

Regarding the timing side bush, my engine still has the original white metal lined bush, when stripped 2/3 years ago, it was in good condition, as the original size with a diametral clearance of 0.0015 inch as compared to a max. service clearance of 0.003/0.004, I did not have your problem.

I do understand your dilemma but I cannot add any further technical advise to what you have already recieved from members who have more knowledge than I have on such matters. It seems to be about risk, if it was myself I would take the risk of running the bike this season and then come the winter go back to the original design spec. ie white metal lined bush, this seems to be the lowest risk situation.

Good luck,

John P.

Return to “Four stroke”