1955 NH gearbox oil change

Singles, twins and fours.
Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: 1955 NH gearbox oil change

Postby Bob.Murphy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:15 am

This looks like the start of a 'Molyslip' thread . . .

Third gear on my '53 square used to howl, in fact when overtaking with a handful of throttle it sounded like a Stuka in a dive :shock: . I used to get funny looks from motorists.

I took the box to a local 'Bike Guru' (Cliff Baker I think his name was, seemed to be well known in racing circles in the 1960s) - he couldn't find anything wrong with it.

It still howled . . . So I added Molyslip . . . It was a lot quieter but still made a noise.

The bike equivalent of "Medicinal Compound" :lol: .

Bob.

(Guru's name edited - Not Cliff Wilson!).
Last edited by Bob.Murphy on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

CylvaBirch

Postby CylvaBirch » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:38 pm

I think it should be alright to use a bit of molyslip in the gearbox of the NH as it has a dry clutch. On bikes with a wet clutch I think it could cause clutch slip.

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 pm

There MUST be something wrong with it. It's usually the sleeve gear with the small gear that engages with it on the end of the Layshaft that gets the most wear as it's engaged in all gears bar top. IF it's definitely ONLY 3rd its involved with one (or both) of the two gears you see when you first remove the middle cover. It can be a bush or the gear can get "lined" on the teeth which will make it noisy. Nev

Return to “Four stroke”