Top gearbox fastener

Singles, twins and fours.
wade.edwards
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Top gearbox fastener

Postby wade.edwards » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:34 am

Working on 46 NG. When going to release the fixing bolt on the top end of the gearbox I found that someone had drilled out the primary side rear engine plate hole for the top bolt. Now instead of the hole being a D hole, it is round. Instead of using a through bolt with a flat spot, this person used a straight bolt with a hex head fed from the timing side.
This makes it difficult to get the nut off under the battery carrier.
My proposal is rather than simply restoring the hole to it’s D shape, I will weld a nut on the outside (primary side) engine plate and use a straight bolt instead of the original two loose nuts and D bolt. Also thinking of doing this alteration to all my engine plates. Thoughts?
Also, what do you think about cutting out the battery carrier floor to provide much better access to the two bolts with nuts holding the carrier to the engine plate? Anyone else made these alterations?

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Top gearbox fastener

Postby simon.holyfield » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:10 am

Wouldn't it be simpler to restore it to standard? After building a bike, I've never had to touch that nut under the battery carrier.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'78 CX500
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

wade.edwards

Re: Top gearbox fastener

Postby wade.edwards » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:44 am

I’ll take another look at it, Simon. The temptation is to create a fix because this is a very tight space. It would have been best if the previous owner hadn’t drilled the hole out just because they didn’t have the correct bolt on hand.

Return to “Four stroke”